• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What are your goals as a composer.....

Share/Bookmark

What are your goals as a composer.....

And what do you wish to accomplish in your life through this medium? (And i don't just mean philosophically... literally as well)

That is more so the question I wanted to ask in the previous sound a like thread... then I realized you can't change the title to a thread . So.....

Then again maybe folks are uncomfortable about talking about this stuff... I wouldn't see why though.

How's that for weird Paul.

KID-

Re: What are your goals as a composer.....

I wanna make good music one day ( for me ). And when i do that i wanna make money out of it so i can continue making music without having to be a waiter or anything un-related.
    Fame , glory ? Nope, i can live without it . But on the other hand i'd love to make music for a very good video game ( which might bring fame eventually even if you don't want it ) . Music for Nintendo or Squaresoft ... a dream .

That's all !
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

In terms of artistic fufilment I'm already in a pertty good place. I'd like more time to work on my own stuff instead of other peopl's junk, but these days 75% of the other peopl's junk we can pick and choose so it's not so bad. Other than that I'd like to feel comfortable that the bills are able to be paid and buy a new car. That's pretty much it!

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    And what do you wish to accomplish in your life through this medium? (And i don't just mean philosophically... literally as well)

That is more so the question I wanted to ask in the previous sound a like thread... then I realized you can't change the title to a thread . So.....

Then again maybe folks are uncomfortable about talking about this stuff... I wouldn't see why though.

KID-
    1. My aim is being a composer, not a niche composer, who can write more than cues.

2. Because I have skills as a producer, I'm producing my own material. I have a specific list of properties to write and produce that are now in progress.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Pretty happy as it is now. Buuuuut - one always has ambitions

First of all I just want to improve myself, but the my non artistic ambitions are:

a) I would like to get nominated for "best music" or similar...
    b) Have a fanbase - people other than me who actualy look forward to what i'll be doing next
    c) Score a big Danish film
    d) Earn enough to buy myself a house and pay my GF enough so that she does not have to work as much as she does now

Some of it might sound quite petty - but hey, im honest

andyt

To produce something that doesn't make my mum and wife burst into hysterical laughter .... [that was a low point and very discouraging]

My mum's response for the last 20 years has always been "ohhh, why don't you play something that we all know and can sing along to".

My wifes response has always been "rubbish" ... but then she doesn't think much of the Beatles either, so I'm in good company.

My brothers response is typically "where did you get an orchestra to play so badly ?"

My Dad's best resposne was "nice sounds".

I don't think my genius is ever going to be recognised :-( ... at least while I am alive. ;-)

LOL

Tough crowd

Talking Re: What are your goals as a composer.....

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf

KID-
    Maybe I should have used the word - difficult instead of weird. Ahhhem!

The struggle for me is writing stuff that is vaguely musically coherent. For instance, I am writing a piece at the moment that I want to be in the 'American' style. Like the those biggish western type scores. Coplandnesque, but without being obvious. Anyway, I did about 38 bars of full score and decided that - hey, this is 38 bars of pure unaldulterated crap.

So I took advantage of two great friends in Los Angeles and Nevada and they helped hugely. Incidentally, the one in Los Angeles is a vey fine tutor and gives lessons in orchestrations -particular slant on film scoring and teaches students to read music etc. Oh yes!

I like all the other responses and in particular Andy t's. In my case, it's not just my wife, but the cats. The minute the cats leave the studio, you know you're in deep sh*t.

Later

Paul

Smile Re: What are your goals as a composer.....

I think being able to pay the bills with the music I write would be great. I recently got paid for the first time during the campaign season. I did three 30 second spots for a local campaign commity and I have to say that it was really exciting. My day job is steady and pays a boring but survivable wage. When I did the commercials, I made about 6 times my normal wage for the time I put in. It was very exciting. I think for the 6 or 7 hours I put in, I made two weeks wages from my day job as a heating and air-conditioning tech, and I've been in the hvac field for 12 years. So just doing that instead of my day job would be great. I dont need to be famous but to be respected and recognized a bit in that field is always nice.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

To me, the idea isn't to have goals as a composer, but as an artist and human being in general.

My artistic goals are to become more transparent to my impulses, to better understand that the gift of creation begs to be shared and not judged. To continually remind myself that musical talent is a gift which not everyone is priveleged to have, but which everyone has a right to enjoy. That this talent is such a deep privelege that it implies an equally deep responsibility, to be taken seriously and to be used in a way which ultimately benefits mankind.

Personally, my goals are similar to the artistic. I want to lead a life which reflects the highest expression of the art of living itself. I want to enjoy every sensation that's available which doesn't harm anyone else in the pursuit. I want to lift up my fellow travelers to the grave (to paraphrase Dickens), and help people see the good in all things.

I guess that my deepest held belief is that remaining pure and childlike in approach to life is its own reward, and that one does not have to worry much about goals if he lives his life in the moment to its fullest possible expression.

Go Back to forum