• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choosing the Right Ram

Choosing the Right Ram

Quickly, my mb has four ram slots. It can support up to 4GB of ram. Ram prices have sky rocketed lately, so assume that I don't have the money to purchase 1GB sticks of "good ram." My question is basically, which is better for we-sequencers:

1. Infineon chips - 2x1GB pc2100 ddr266 [friend would be giving them to me for free]
    2. Kingston - 2x512mb + 2x256 (total of 1.5gb) pc3200 ddr400 [this is in my current pc]

A. Obviously, the infineon route offers more room to upgrade - albeit at the cost of 'weaker ram.'
    2. Will I notice a performance issue with the weaker ram?
    3. Is it worth having weak ram if I can get 3GB? I would be buying another 2x512 if I went that rout.

Thanks very much!

- Junkaroo

EDIT: My friend just informed me that Athlons benefit ram much less. He claimed that a pc2100 vs pc3200 vs pc4000 is not that large of a difference, due to the fact that I have an athlon processor (Barton 3000+ 400Mhz fsb, btw). Thanks!

Re: Choosing the Right Ram

I see you posted a while ago.

My suggestion, as long as you're getting this Infineon memory for free, is to give it a shot and run something like Sisoft Sandra free edition to evaluate how this configuration compares to other known configs. Then do the same with the Kingston memory.

Non-brand name memory might not have production controls that are as stringent as brand name stuff, then again it might be fine.

Hope this helps.

Go Back to forum