• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO & ASCAP join together to benefit ASCAP Members

Share/Bookmark

GPO & ASCAP join together to benefit ASCAP Members

GPO & ASCAP join forces to benefit ASCAP Members and to spread the word of GPO to 180,000 ASCAP members!

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) members are people who make their living making music. Composers, songwriters, and musicians know very well that there are many steps between creation and the final product. Composers and songwriters often require the sounds of orchestral instruments to enhance their music. Often it is not possible to hire an orchestra but now composers and songwriters can add orchestral sounds to their songs. Through a special arrangement, ASCAP members are afforded a special discount on Garritan Personal Orchestra.

Commenting on ASCAP's affiliation with Garritan Personal Orchestra, Shawn LeMone, Sr. Director of Film & TV Music/New Media & Technology, of ASCAP had this to say: "Orchestration is important to ASCAP members and now there is an easy and affordable way for ASCAP members to impart high-quality orchestral sounds to their music using Garritan Personal Orchestra."

Gary Garritan, creator of Personal Orchestra states, "Garritan Personal Orchestra has become the orchestral sample library of choice among composers and songwriters worldwide. I am delighted to bring our unique products to the prestigious members of ASCAP. This is a natural partnership, one that will enhance the music of ASCAP composers and songwriters, dramatically simplify the orchestration process, and give members more time to actually work on their music."

Established in 1914, ASCAP is the world's largest performing right organization with over 180,000 composer, lyricist and music publisher members world-wide. ASCAP is committed to providing benefits and protecting the rights of its members in all genres of music - from pop to symphonic, rock to gospel, Latin to country, to jazz, theater, cabaret, dance, electronic, concert, film and television music - the entire musical spectrum.

Garritan Personal Orchestra is an affordable and easy-to-use orchestra for your computer. It includes all the major instruments of the orchestra - strings, brass, woodwinds, and percussion (the most valuable collection of instruments ever sampled) - plus the Native Instruments Kontakt Sample Player to play them with. Garritan Personal Orchestra will enable ASCAP members to add realistic sounding orchestral instruments to their music quickly and easily. No extra software is necessary. The library comes with a suite of software applications (such as a notation program and sequencer) that help ASCAP members write, mix and play music without fuss or added expense. Garritan Personal Orchestra works on PC or Mac (modern computer with sufficient RAM required). It works as a Standalone (for live performance), as a Plugin (VST/DX/RTAS & AU - for recording and mixing), or with popular notation programs via GPO Studio (for scoring). Please visit www.garritan.com for details and to hear demos.

Re: GPO & ASCAP join forces to benefit ASCAP Members

Congratulations Gary! This is exciting news to say the least.

Wow! Next it will be GPO goes to the moon
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Quote Originally Posted by UNIX_GURU
    Wow! Next it will be GPO goes to the moon
    That's one small step for GPO ..one giant leap for GPO-kind

That is awesome. Congrats, Gary!

Very cool.

I was wondering, does anyone have a firm grasp on what ASCAP and BMI do differently in terms of benefits for their members? I need to join one, and neither really present their benefits in a straightforward manner. Any thoughts on the merits of one or the other would be appreciated.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Very cool.

I was wondering, does anyone have a firm grasp on what ASCAP and BMI do differently in terms of benefits for their members? I need to join one, and neither really present their benefits in a straightforward manner. Any thoughts on the merits of one or the other would be appreciated.
    Historically, I believe, BMI was considered more for the pop/jazz composer, with ASCAP for the classical composer. However, you will find a lot of crossover. I’m sure someone else knows more than I about what is going on now.

Karl

Thumbs up Re: GPO & ASCAP join forces to benefit ASCAP Members

Yeah --- way to go Gary. This gives me a nice warm tingly feeling inside. (Now don’t go there!) You know what the best part of this is? GPO is actually revitalizing an awareness of the symphony orchestra and the world of symphonic classical music to a new proportion. Toes up, oops, I mean ... Thumbs up!
    Congratulations Mr. Garritan!
    Styxx

Gary, This is so great. We are all proud as punch for you.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Historically, I believe, BMI was considered more for the pop/jazz composer, with ASCAP for the classical composer. However, you will find a lot of crossover. I’m sure someone else knows more than I about what is going on now.

Karl
    Thanks, Karl.

After a few decades in bars of dubious reputation, I've had about all of the pop music scene that I care for. From what you've said, it sounds like for my current direction of film / tv / video / etc. that ASCAP would be the most appropriate.

Any of you other folks doing film / tv? A perspective from the trenches would be great...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum