• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga 160 problem

Share/Bookmark

Giga 160 problem

I\'ve been working on some orchestral scores
    lately causing me to max out the polyphony on my Gigastudio 160. Recently when I get to the 160 voice count Giga will freeze and give me an error message stating \" this program has performed an illegal operation\". I will then have to reboot my computer to get Giga working again. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks

Re: Giga 160 problem

I get that too sometimes when I really stress GS. MSG32.exe crash, I presume. I don\'t know why it happens - I could say bad coding, but I am sure the Nemesys developer(s?) wouldn\'t like that. I heard that release triggers might have an influence on this, and I WAS using VOTA, the last couple of times I experienced this.

Yes, this happens to me also. It seems that release triggers really aggravate it. If you\'re working with a lot of release triggers it\'s probably a good idea to keep the average sustained polyphony well below (perhaps even half) the advertized limit of your Giga version. The triggers double the polyphony briefly when you release the keys and Giga does not always handle the load graciously. Something else to hope for in version 3.

Originally posted by scf3:
    I\'ve been working on some orchestral scores
    lately causing me to max out the polyphony on my Gigastudio 160. Recently when I get to the 160 voice count Giga will freeze and give me an error message stating \" this program has performed an illegal operation\". I will then have to reboot my computer to get Giga working again. Any ideas what is causing this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In the older versions of GS (pre 2.5), there was a bug in the code that caused it to occasionally use more than 160 voices, especially when using the release dimension, which would cause a crash. Supposedly this was fixed in 2.5.x as I haven\'t seen it happen in these versions, but it still may be there. The only fix is to set your maximum voices to 158 so that GS will never go over 160.

Go Back to forum