• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GPO on separate computer

Share/Bookmark

Using GPO on separate computer

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I just got Midi-Over-Lan and have been trying all weekend to get GPO to communicate from my slave computer to my sequencer computer (Sibelius, Sonar). I downloaded the GPO Studio MIDI inputs file, but can't seem to get it to work. My GPO machine is a P4 3.2 ghz w/ 2GB ram. My sequencer machine is an older, slower Althon machine with Gigastudio installed as well. Any wisdom to share? Thanks in advance for any help -- I'm stumped.

Jim Rowell

Re: Using GPO on separate computer

Make sure you follow the step by step setup guide on the website. The computers need to be rebooted after setting up the MIDI ports. I'd setup at least 4 ports between the two.

Make sure you don't have a firewall blocking the ports. Windows XP SP2 has a builtin firewall enabled by default.

Unhappy Re: Using GPO on separate computer

Thanks Haydn. I think I'm totally confused now. Here's the deal. I have a Delta 1010 on my old computer and only the built in soundcard on my new and fast computer, which I bought because the old one didn't have the horsepower to run GPO correctly. I want to use the VSl legato winds in the same score/sequence as GPO. I need to run GPO Studio on the new comp., because of its CPU horsepower and ram (2 gig), but I want to send its audio to the Delta 1010 on the old comp., where GigaStudio and the Delta 1010 reside. I downloaded GPO Remote 1.0 from the website, but I'm having trouble understanding how it should work. I can have the sequencer apps on both comptuers, or either, as needed, and I do have MidioverLan installed and working. Clearly, I am missing something. If you could try to help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for replying and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jim Rowell

Your best bet is to run your sequencer/notation program on the new computer. You mentioned that your using Sonar which is what I use.

I run Sonar with GPO as a VST instrument inside it. Giga is on a separate machine with MIDIoverLan controlling. The audio comes out of the Giga machine back to my mixing board which is then fed into my soundcard. I'd recommend updating to a pro soundcard and not use the built in audio. This will get you higher quality inputs. The audio from the Giga machine is captured in my Sonar sequences when I mix down.

I haven't worked with Sibelius so I can't tell you how it will work with audio.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Your best bet is to run your sequencer/notation program on the new computer. You mentioned that your using Sonar which is what I use.

I run Sonar with GPO as a VST instrument inside it. Giga is on a separate machine with MIDIoverLan controlling. The audio comes out of the Giga machine back to my mixing board which is then fed into my soundcard. I'd recommend updating to a pro soundcard and not use the built in audio. This will get you higher quality inputs. The audio from the Giga machine is captured in my Sonar sequences when I mix down.

I haven't worked with Sibelius so I can't tell you how it will work with audio.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for your kind help. I'm installing a M-Audio Audiophile in the old comp. where Giga is, and have moved the Delta 1010 to the new comp., which has GPO, Sibelius, Sonar and Samplitude. Using MOL to transmit midi to the GS comp., S/PDIF for audio out of the Audiophile back to the Delta. I think this should work well. I should have the Audiophile by tomorrow and will be able to try out this setup. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Jim Rowell

Lightbulb Re: Using GPO on separate computer

I'm not sure if this notion has been covered in other parts of the NS Forum (or the Garritan forums) but I am taking a different approach as to "capacity" issues.

History: I started out with a dedicated P-4 2.66 gHz SONY desktop running Windows XP and 1 gig of RAM. Initially, I had Cubase SX (as sequencer) and HALion 2 as softSampler. My first Garritan purchase was the Garritan Orchestra Strings/Lite (using it with HALion 2). When I added GPO I began to get more "expansive" in developing "my orchestra" (read "large"). I have now reached the point where "hosting" my intentionally large ensemble (I'm not doing "chamber music" here) is apparently bouncing up against the 1 gig of RAM limitations. When this happens, I reach a point where I can finish the composition and "export" it to a finished audio work. (I've also noticed that huge amounts of Controller data -- particularly from using the "mod wheel" -- tends to clutter MIDI data for various channels and I've had to go in and do some "controller thinning" from time to time to not exhaust the CPU power, but that's a topic for another place perhaps.)

I know it's a matter of personal workstyle, but I really prefer to stay in the realm of MIDI channels (as opposed to rendering one of more channels to audio as I run out of space). For me rendering to an audio channel would undoubtedly mean that I would then simply HAVE to move that one note from beat 3 to 4 (and have to do the whole render all over again).

The NEW approach (phase 2) for me is [1] more memory and [2] a faster cpu. I'm replacing the 2.66 gHz system with a 2 gig RAM (3.2 gHz cpu) system. I hope that this will initially "buy" me many more voices in GPO.

But I'm also looking forward to phase 3 and using "FX-Teleport" (software about $99) and keeping the "old" system as an "outboard" VST processor (without an additional sound card being the main advantage). This phase will also include binding the two music systems together with a gigabit point-to-point LAN so that I can use the "old" system as a VSTi host for HALion2 (the new HALion3 comes with a "dongle" but in earlier experiments, I had installed a second HALion2 on another system when I tried out FX-Teleport. So the "expansion" will be to utilize the original "music computer" as a "VST resource" through the device of the super-fast ethernet and the FX-Teleport software. As you may have gleaned by now, this lets the single Cubase SX sequencer be the collector point and keeps me in the realm of MIDI until the final mix-down.

I hope this helps ... KevinKauai

I've put a diagram of the eventual "phase 3" approach here:
    [img]file:///D:/$KevinTweedyNET_source/BFV/HST/KFT_software_hardware.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 11-11-2004 at 05:08 PM. Reason: unfinished

Go Back to forum