• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Improving Orchestral Simulation" by Alan Belkin

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up "Improving Orchestral Simulation" by Alan Belkin

"Improving Orchestral Simulation through Musical Knowledge" by Alan Belkin

Hope you all enjoyed Alan Belkin's "Artistic Orchestration" guide posted several weeks ago. I received many accolades for his work.

Alan has written another orchestration tutorial titled "Improving Orchestral Simulation through Musical Knowledge"

http://www.garritan.com/Orchestral_S..._Tutorial.html

In this work, Alan discusses the Purpose(s) of a Simulation, Good vs. Poor Orchestration, Musical Issues dealing with Notation,Performance and Instruments, Achieving Realistic Simulations including Objectives, Phrasing, Expressivity, Gradations, Controls (including specifics for certain instruments), Control differences between Ensembles and Soloists, Dynamics and Potential for the Future.

I'm sure you will all find this informative and helpful for your orchestrations. Alan has contributed so very much to the musical community by so freely giving of his knowledge.

Thanks Alan for sharing this with us!

Gary Garritan

Re: "Improving Orchestral Simulation" by Alan Belkin

Holy Smokes! Another awesome tutorial. Gary, I am blown away by the shear power of intelligence that is displayed on this forum. Well done Alan.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    "Improving Orchestral Simulation through Musical Knowledge" by Alan Belkin

Hope you all enjoyed Alan Belkin's "Artistic Orchestration" guide posted several weeks ago. I received many accolades for his work.

Alan has written another orchestration tutorial titled "Improving Orchestral Simulation through Musical Knowledge"

http://www.garritan.com/Orchestral_S..._Tutorial.html

In this work, Alan discusses the Purpose(s) of a Simulation, Good vs. Poor Orchestration, Musical Issues dealing with Notation,Performance and Instruments, Achieving Realistic Simulations including Objectives, Phrasing, Expressivity, Gradations, Controls (including specifics for certain instruments), Control differences between Ensembles and Soloists, Dynamics and Potential for the Future.

I'm sure you will all find this informative and helpful for your orchestrations. Alan has contributed so very much to the musical community by so freely giving of his knowledge.

Thanks Alan for sharing this with us!

Gary Garritan
    May as well let the whole cat out of the bag...it surely deserves it. Alan's web site actually has several papers, all of them extraordinarily good and valuable. In addition to those mentioned, subjects include harmony, counterpoint and composition. All insightful and all generously free...extraordinaire! As an aside: particularly valuable is the fact that he makes clear the scope of his essays, thus precluding any silly straw man arguments by any frustrated Don Quixotes (:-).

Ed

Thumbs up Re: "Improving Orchestral Simulation" by Alan Belkin

Just finished reading, Very helpful
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

If you want deep anlysis of music go Alan's site - there are three books worth. I have been reading sections and I can say my undertanding of orchestration and harmony has deepened considerably.
    Thanks Alan
    Zero

Go Back to forum