• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music and the Brain

Share/Bookmark

Music and the Brain

Here's a totally fascinating article with the latest research on music and the brain:
    http://www.sciam.com/print_version.c...8683414B7F0000

(Or go to www.aldaily.com and click on "more" under "Think of any piece of music" ,third article in the next to left column.)

It shows how complex and all-involving our response to music is. The ability to recognize and recall melodies, for instance, is totally separate from the emotional thrills (or chills) we get from particular pieces.

Amazingly, we hear consonant sounds in the pleasure/reward area of our brains, and dissonant sounds in a completely different area (the "I am in hell" area, no doubt, LOL )

Musicians' brains really are different (as anyone who has read Styxx's posts can attest ). Learning music dramatically enlarges and remaps both the tonal and finger "maps" we have in our brains. And for musicians, music activates the same reward systems as for food, , and addictive drugs. But we knew that already, didn't we?

Talking Re: Music and the Brain

Musicians' brains really are different (as anyone who has read Styxx's posts can attest
    Heyyyyyy, I resent that! How can you say that about me when I don't have one? I told you B3, I took my brain for a walk and lost it. But I am smart! I have two brains. It's just the other one is out looking for the first one and hasn't come back yet.

Nice post!
    Styxx

Re: Music and the Brain

I'm thinking this would be of interest to Brian2112 given his conversations in chat about writing a book on a related topic...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    I'm thinking this would be of interest to Brian2112 given his conversations in chat about writing a book on a related topic...
    Oh Yes! I am checking it out as I type!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

It's always good to know scientists think what you're doing is smart!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    It's always good to know scientists think what you're doing is smart!
    Haha.

Oops, sorry- thought this thread was about Pinky And the Brain! Just go back to what you were doing

Go Back to forum