• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO or VSL on a Powerbook ?? anyone getting good results with this combo?

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO or VSL on a Powerbook ?? anyone getting good results with this combo?

Is anyone out there using a Powerbook 1.5ghz as their main composing cpu at this point?
    I need to be very mobile in the next few months and I would certainly appreciate any input on this and specifically how ewqlso and vsl hold up on this machine.
    Logic or DP.

Any input at all would help me make a high dollar decision.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on this!!!

Re: EWQLSO or VSL on a Powerbook ?? anyone getting good results with this combo?

I have used my powerbook with some mixed results. One of the bottlenecks is the speed of the internal hard drive and quite frankly, Firewire is still no match to a solid IDE 7200rpm internal. Don't bother with USB 2.0 either since I heard that what you might gain in speed you will lose in processing speed. Lastly get as much RAM as possible.

Logic running EXS24 can be very efficient and will give you some decent results. It really depends on what you need it to do. If you're looking to be able to produce and write massive orchestrations in your hotel room, I do think that it's possible, but it will require you to change the way you work by separating your sequence into sections, and working with partial bounces.

If you have reallistic expectations and you are primarily looking for a way to sketch ideas, you might be pleasantly surprised.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: EWQLSO or VSL on a Powerbook ?? anyone getting good results with this combo?

Thanks for that fast reply!

questions -
    speed of you powerbook?
    estimated polyphony for exs?

All your points were dead on and I do think my expectations are pretty realistic.
    I was figuring on replacing the internal drive with a 5200 rpm with a larger buffer. And I agree that even oxford 911 firewire is still a bit slower than the internal buss is.
    I am sure lot's of track freezing would be involved and I really don't mind that.
    Do you think total polyphony of say..... 200 voices is possible. Half of them streaming?

Those are the sort of stats that I have been unable to find in the various audio forums.

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    Thanks for that fast reply!

questions -
    speed of you powerbook?
    estimated polyphony for exs?

All your points were dead on and I do think my expectations are pretty realistic.
    I was figuring on replacing the internal drive with a 5200 rpm with a larger buffer. And I agree that even oxford 911 firewire is still a bit slower than the internal buss is.
    I am sure lot's of track freezing would be involved and I really don't mind that.
    Do you think total polyphony of say..... 200 voices is possible. Half of them streaming?

Those are the sort of stats that I have been unable to find in the various audio forums.

Thanks again!!
    There are internal 7200 rpm 60 gb HDs available with an 8mb buffer for about $150. I think Hitachi makes them. If they will work on a Mac, then you might want to consider that. The HD seems to be the real bottleneck regarding performance so maxing that out is a good idea. Good luck.

I was just researching that !!!
    Thanks for the post!

I am getting hopeful this might be a workable solution.

I bought a 160 Gb 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache ... 127 $ Canadian

One plus to consider in regards to Logic 7 over DP is the Distributed Audio Processing feature - you can keep the logic sequencer on your powerbook to work virtually anywhere but when you want a huge mix you could couple your powerbook with a Mac G5 for shared processing (when the funds are there to do so.)

Currently the distributed audio processing advantage is with native logic plugs for now but news from the grapevine seems to suggest that 3rd party plug ins (Waves, Sony) may be in the works.

I'm glad someone brought this up, because I'll have a powerbook within the next month or two. I would like to put QLSO on it if possible, and have it WORK!

Is anyone currently running on powerbook?
    What's the polyphony from ewqlso and or vsl?

Thanks!

Go Back to forum