• Register
  • Help

Topic: Amazing Orchestration!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Amazing Orchestration!

I know people may have already discussed this television intro, but after my wife started watching Desperate Housewives on ABC, I couldn't help but notice the orchestration on the intro. I came to find out it is a Danny Elfman composition. I know there have been incredible orchestrations posted here - but this intro seems to capture and set the mood for the whole show. My mind doesn't seem to work in the manner Elfman's does. The only way I can describe this composition is "kooky" - which is unusually well done. This piece fits the show so perfectly, I had to share my thoughts and see what others think. Here is a link to the intro.

www.jkerrmusic.com/downloads/dh-intro.wmv
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Re: Amazing Orchestration!

I agree, it's amazing stuff. But, I just don't think it's as good as the great memorable themes he wrote over 15 years ago. The Simpsons theme and the Tales from the Crypt theme, for example, are timeless in my opinion.

I don't know, maybe it'll grow on me. It IS awesome stuff.

The good things about Elfman´s musics is what he has never done , like the orchestrations!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Lol. I am not the biggest fan of Elfman by any means. I am just in awe of the mood he captures in this intro. I would have done it entirely differently and never achieved the same mood. This mood is important because it sets the tone for the whole show.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    The good things about Elfman´s musics is what he has never done , like the orchestrations!!!
    From an interview I read, Elfman does a lot of his own orchestrations.

Besides, Hollywood is all smoke and mirrors. What, you thought this was real? Get used to it....

(And I might as well say -- Hollywood (Studios) would use robots to compose if it sounded as good and was cheaper ...... don't look so surprised. )

But what negative statement's like that say to 'me' is this: "I'm better than Danny, he doesn't deserve to be there and I do. Because I'm more talented"

Look at it this way -- Hey gets paid all that money because of his "IDEAS", these are apparently ideas that not a lot of us had, cuz he's there and we're not.

Besides, which is easier..

1) Hiring a dude to fix a brilliant score with amazing ideas.

Or

2) Trying to get some composer off the street to get the "vibe" Danny does?

The answer is obvious to me.

The thing is, life in Hollywood isn't fair... look at the crap actors that "STAR" in these 200 mil films, and make a million times what you make. Last week they worked at Starbucks. Is Brad Pitt the best actor around? I'm sure there's some dude on a actors BBS right now complaining that he is a better actor than Brad. Why does he get paid 20 million dollars to walk onto a set (3 months work for 20 mil... pretty good deal, no?) In Hollywood it's 100% about marketability... that's never gonna change.

Anyway...

I'll check out that tune. Thanks for the heads up...

PS.. I'm not a fan of his music.. I just take issue with slammin' on guys who are successful....

KID-

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I think Danny Elfman is fabulously inventive. I don't have a huge woody for the orchestration of this piece in particular, it's just good normal stuff.

I think Elfman is the 21st Century Hoyt Curtin. His work always has that sly cartoonish vibe, even when he's broadening the sound palette as of late. The Simpsons theme is certainly right in the line of progression. One could actually say that it restored the progression after this kind of sound was under-represented for years.

Yes, that old idea of "I'm as good as him, why am I not famous?" is an easy trap to fall into. I would agree that having a marketable, media-name status is a big deal, one doesn't obtain that status without having earned it.

Ultimately, someone who composes for film or any media has to be the kind of person who can successfully navigate and negotiate the collaborative environment. You have to be able to relate to all the disciplines, and you have to understand the dramatic process, and at least a little about every design discipline you'll be joining in the collaboration. No one has the luxury of working in a vacuum. Sometimes your best work lands on the floor with a cut, or something gets reworked to the point that it breaks what you did, and then you must quickly and pleasantly provide another equally brilliant replacement. These are when, not if, situations. No really great show is without them...the design team wouldn't be truly collaborating if ideas did not begin to reshape the actions of others in the group.

I think that's the part of the job that people underestimate. The talent is a given, or you wouldn't have the gig in the first place. It's the other stuff that eventually becomes responsible for keeping yourself hired, accumulating other projects and eventually that sought-after media recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    From an interview I read, Elfman does a lot of his own orchestrations.
    Yes , they keep saying that!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

LoL
    Took the words from my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini

ha ha ha ha ...

Go Back to forum