• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rice Krispys in My Music

Share/Bookmark

Rice Krispys in My Music

Snap, crackle, and pop is fine in your breakfast cereal but NOT in your music! I've been battling this for over 1 month. I know there has been a thread in this forum concerning pops/clicks in GPO but my problem is beyond this. I have done all of the standard tweaks to optimize my PC; reduced latencies in both Sonar and my sound card (Audiophile 2496); etc. I have a non-stop background CLICK in all recording and playback. It doesn't matter if I record and playback GPO; play CDs on my computer CD drive; or play MP3s. I have disabled Norton Anti-Virus Scan and all known programs that might be in the way. The funny thing is that the click seems to be rhythmic as recording and playback proceeds. I THINK IT'S MOCKING ME. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think it's beyond any software program I'm running. Must be something more systemic. Has anybody else had a similar problem?? I'd love to post my first two GPO compositions but GPO and Rice Krispys are not a good combination. (You wouldn't like it.)

I am running Sonar 2.2 w/Audiophile 2496 sound card and Windows XP.

Re: Rice Krispys in My Music

Thomas,

It certainly does sound like something more systemic. There are so many Sonar users that are having no problems. I am wondering if it has something to do with your soundcard or system settings. Please email me or give me a call and we'll troubleshoot this and get you up and running.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Sheffer
    Snap, crackle, and pop is fine in your breakfast cereal but NOT in your music! I've been battling this for over 1 month. I know there has been a thread in this forum concerning pops/clicks in GPO but my problem is beyond this. I have done all of the standard tweaks to optimize my PC; reduced latencies in both Sonar and my sound card (Audiophile 2496); etc. I have a non-stop background CLICK in all recording and playback. It doesn't matter if I record and playback GPO; play CDs on my computer CD drive; or play MP3s. I have disabled Norton Anti-Virus Scan and all known programs that might be in the way. The funny thing is that the click seems to be rhythmic as recording and playback proceeds. I THINK IT'S MOCKING ME. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I think it's beyond any software program I'm running. Must be something more systemic. Has anybody else had a similar problem?? I'd love to post my first two GPO compositions but GPO and Rice Krispys are not a good combination. (You wouldn't like it.)

I am running Sonar 2.2 w/Audiophile 2496 sound card and Windows XP.

I have no doubt that Gary will have a solution for you. However, curiosity is overwhelming me, and I would surely like to know the solution.

My guess would be the sound card or drivers. I am running XP, with SP2, Sonar 2.2. Nearly all my problems vanished a while back when I updated graphics drivers, sound card drivers, and some HP specific updates before installing SP2, which has caused no problems for me.

Richard

From one Thomas to another; be sure you try disabling Hyperthreading on your computer. Tom Hopkins turned me on to that one and it really made my crackling go away. To quote myself in an earlier post:
    Quote Originally Posted by tabtech
    After looking up a few Microsoft KB articles on Hyperthreading

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

I found that I could go into Device Manager -> Computer and click the Update Driver button and choose (at some point) "Standard PC", Non-ACPI rather than "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", ACPI that it was set on. This required the computer to restart and then it automatically reinstalled all the hardware drivers quickly and painlessly. After another restart I started up Cubase and NO POPS! I have been fighting this for months.
    Let us know if this does the trick for you.

Thomas Alan Bishop

I went and changed from ACPI Computer (where all PCI INTs are routed to the same Hardware IRQ - In XP's case, IRQ 9), to APM (where the BIOS has complete control over the PCI INT assignments), and it made no difference at all. Look at the bottom of the GPO window when you hear the Rice Krispies, and note what the CPU usage is at that moment. In my experience, the 'crackles' come with the CPU has its butt kicked by all the samples loaded, or with other than the ASIO drivers were being used.

SteveMitchell

Thanks for your suggestions. Thomas, I tried your suggestion to change to Standard PC Non-ACPI. The only available option under Device Manager in my computer is the ACPI Multiprocessor PC so that won't work. Gary had suggested doing a System Restore back to the date when I didn't have the problem. I think I'lll give that a try. (Found a tutorial on System Restore.) I'm going in.

Go Back to forum