• Register
  • Help

Topic: ASCAP & BMI

Share/Bookmark

ASCAP & BMI

Recently there has been some discusssion about ASCAP & BMI. I can't find anything now, probably need more French Roast Coffee. The following is extracted from another site, with the author's permission. I thought it might prove useful

"Re: Opinions about ASCAP?
    Posted by H L Smith, II (Home page) - 08 Nov 04:45
    I'm not sure where this information is coming from, but as a member of ASCAP, I can assure you, first hand, that people that do what we do are well represented in ASCAP.
    You might contact Arnold Broido @ T. Presser Music Publishers, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    He was the V.P. of ASCAP for some time. He's still on the board. I'm sure that either he or Daniel Dorff, also @ T. Presser will give you an earfull of it's benefits. Now that's not to knock BMI. For it is a fine organization. However, As a published composer, I can assure you that ASCAP is very good for the modern composer. Feel free to call me if you wish further details.

Cheers,

H. L."

Mr. Smith is an organist, and also works for Theodore Presser, I think. He has had some choral works published, just had some new material accepted.

Richard

Re: ASCAP & BMI

I had posted questions here wondering what the fundamental difference was in benefits / coverage in ASCAP and BMI. My impression from what I heard was that ASCAP was stronger in film soundtrack type stuff and BMI was better for the pop record company scene, but I'm not sure how accurate an assessment that is.

I remember when I went to both sites a year or two ago that neither presented their benefits in anything even resembling a straightforward manner. You basically needed three lawyers and a pocket calculator to determine what and when you got paid. That makes it difficult to differentiate between them.

I would welcome any and all information comparing their strengths and weaknesses, as I've still not made a decision and am having difficulties making a hard, factual comparison of features / benefits between the two.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I went with BMI years ago, because I knew someone who was affiliated with them, and he had a very high opinion of them. I have since met and talked to several ASCAP guys, and they have similarly high opinions of ASCAP.

I'd suggest you not agonize over this decision for too long. Whichever one you pick, you're likely to be happy with them, so just pick one and don't look back.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I am going through the same decision making process... I've gotten lots of advice<G>, and I'm no further along in figuring it out.

Probably the best suggestion I received was to look at the roster of affiliated artists, and decide which group you'd rather hang out with... but even that seems a bit weak, since in fact there are artists affiliated with both organizations that I'd like to hang out with!

Add me to the list of folks who will be watching this thread!!!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    I am going through the same decision making process... I've gotten lots of advice<G>, and I'm no further along in figuring it out.

Probably the best suggestion I received was to look at the roster of affiliated artists, and decide which group you'd rather hang out with... but even that seems a bit weak, since in fact there are artists affiliated with both organizations that I'd like to hang out with!

Add me to the list of folks who will be watching this thread!!!

Bill
    Useful links, I hope, suggested by H. L. Smith, II.

http://www.ascap.com/index.html

http://www.bmi.com/

Richard

Go Back to forum