• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Tell in a few words ....

Share/Bookmark

Question Tell in a few words ....

how it all began for you in music. What your aspirations were and are today. Why you continue to beat yourself ... ah, wait ... oh yeah, why you continue to push on? What is your primary instrument? Who did Lincoln slap with his first lawsuit? Why did they build that thing over there next to the other one no one uses anymore? What are you really supposed to do with a harp? Who decided banjos should have only five strings? Who was “Jack Hammer”, “Barb Wire”, “Alan Wrench”?
    Most importantly, who the heck let me on this forum in the first place?

Stop, now answer ever so neatly!
    For me, I was dropped in a large steel drum and just love the sound of percussive noise ever since.
    Styxx

Re: Tell in a few words ....

in a few words is impossible!
    i began to "study" music at elementary school, in a very simplified way, but very satisfing.
    then i took some flute lessons (maybe one year)
    but left music at about the age of 13-14.
    at 16-17 i bought an acoustic guitar and played folk acustic songs with boyscout (now i'm no more a boyscout!)
    then, after the end of the first year of university, i bought an electric guitar and began to play some metal (but not at high level). several years later i took some lesson of electric guitar... improving a bit my technique
    at the age of 22-23 i discovered that i could use my PC to compose some simple song by layering several tracks of electric guitar alltogether...
    afetr some years the songs became more and more complex, i discovered midi, samples, and so on, and i compose a metal instrumental solo album (my first and last for now!)
    i also began to play in a band some punk-rock.
    now, at the age of 28, i have a great "bedroom" studio in my home.... but music for me is merely an hobby... the only thing i like to do... now i try to play and compose different kind of music... and i wish to study a little more about composition and piano playing
    i also have collected several instruments (an indian sitar, a mandolin, a violin, some indian flutes, some uruguayan instruments, a tin whistle)... just for the sake of having them! :-)
    on of my greatest wish would be to compose another metal-opera using GPO!!! ^_^

I knew I my life would be dedicated to music when I was 12.

I was at "Marriage of Figaro" and I vividly remember crying. Crying my eyes out, not because anything was sad, but because something was so amazingly beautiful and powerful. It made me wonder how a human being could create something so incredible.

It confused me so much at the time as to why I was so moved. I still don't know the answer.

Such is the power of music!!

I grew up around a lot of different music. My Mom was the church choir director and organist, my Dad plays trumpet, all my relatives are very musical. I shocked my parents at the age of 4 when I demonstrated to them how I could make the "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" song sound "sad", and then sang it all in minor. From then on it has been a long, confusing process of learning to play a lot of different instruments at the same time.

I started on piano in grade school, moved on to trumpet all through high school, added electric guitar at age 15. Started playing with multitrack recording when I was 12, using a couple old reel-to-reel recorders. Played in some really awful high school rock bands. I picked up bass guitar in college (there aren't so many bass guitarists, lots of work available), and while I was playing bass fingerstyle, added acoustic guitar (also fingerstyle). Sang in the choir in college and travelled with some musical groups. Got my first 4-track recorder in 1985. Played bass in a jazz-fusion combo. Went back to playing keyboards and delved into the world of MIDI with my first workstation synths (Casio CZ**, Roland D-20). Joined "CrossWalk"as singer/keyboard player, and started noodling with Hammond organs (love the sound of drawbars/Leslie). Started recording on the PC in 1998 using Cakewalk.

I'm currently learning to play drums and lap steel guitar. Still travel with "CrossWalk", and also sing/play guitar/keys with the church worship team. Guess I don't really have a primary instrument because of the strange progression from instrument to instrument. I'm probably most proficient on bass guitar and trumpet (when my lip is in good shape). But I like to bounce around between them all. I record other people in my home project studio, mostly for fun, sometimes for profit. I'm more of a producer/arranger than anything else at this point. Love to learn to play violin some day...

Jim

My parents weren't musicians, but I do remember listening to Nat King Cole, Elvis, Frankie Valie, etc. We were always fascinated by groups like the Osmonds, Jackson 5, etc. My parents always said we (me and my 3 brothers) should start a group (we never did).
    I took a couple of years of piano. Then on a school field trip to Parchman Penetintary, I saw the Parchman Prison Band, and I knew I wanted to make music like that (not in prison, though).
    Then, about age 12 (1970), I shoplifted (uh-oh) what I thought was a piano book for Grand Funk Railroad's Gimme Shelter album. It turned out to be a guitar book, so I started learning guitar on my own. I got an cheap electric at age 15 and traded it in on a Telecaster a year later.
    I built a PAIA analog synth from a kit in 1976 and got my first computer in 1978 (KIM-1).
    Then I discoverd Tomita's "Snowflakes Are Dancing", which got me into classical music. It was the perfect marriage of my 2 interests: Music and Electronics.
    I played guitar in a high school rock and roll band and later one at college.
    I got a 4-track Teac reel-to-reel recorder in 1979 and played around with that.
    I took some fiddle lessons in Memphis (1983), picked up the bass guitar in a rock band (1987).
    Then played bass (and some keyboards) for about 10 years in a 12-piece party band. This band has a horn section and travels with a Hammond B-3.
    I sing in the church choir, play bass for some of the church specials--that's also my only opportunity to play on a grand and they also let me play on the organ some (after hours).
    Its a small church of about 400, but we have a youth instumental ensemble and often have flutes, oboes, violins, whatever, to accompany us.
    We even did Handel's Messiah with a string quartet!
    Now that my kids are gone (to college) I have time for music again.
    So, music is entertainment for me. I play mostly by ear.
    I've never actually written a song in all these years until I got GPO.
    It sounds so great, it writes itself.
    My aspirations now are to try to learn a little music theory, write some more songs, get back in a band playing bass.

I began playing the piano at age three. My father sung in operas, so he was glad to teach me about music. My mother and grandmother also played the piano. When I was six, I began touring the US, showing off my skills to celebrities, such as the president. At age seven, I began playing the violin and viola as well, and at ten I tried my hand at the flute and oboe. It came very naturally. I composed several hundred little Sonatinas, and about a dozen symphonies, all widely praised by my schools, teachers, and major film composers. Now I am glad to have GPO so I don't have to wait for orchestras to play my pieces.

Yeah, I wish!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

My Mom played organ and piano at church, Dad sang in a barbershop quartet, and I was surrounded by all kinds of music all the time. Three months of piano lessons at the age of seven, and no other training since then. I do everything by ear. I have been a recording engineer/producer and just got into midi and bought GPO to learn with back in April of 2004. I am self taught. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

Dan

Talking Re: Tell in a few words ....

Gee Sean, I at least refrained from bragging.
    Styxx

I am self taught. I'm not sure that's a good thing though.
    Ha! I just peed my pants! Oh yeah sure ... just listen to your work! I think I need lessons from you!
    Styxx

At the ripe old age of 5, mom asked me if I was interested in learning an instrument. Started composing at 10 (badly, I might add. Some people might say nothing has changed!). 30 years after picking up an instrument and loving it more than ever. I guess you could say it stuck.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Go Back to forum