• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tracktion ?

Share/Bookmark

Tracktion ?

I just ordered a Gina 3G setup for my PC....I was going to buy the RME, but figured that the price was right on the Gina, and from what I've heard, the Gina is a great sounding setup ....
    Gina 3G comes with Mackie Tracktion software....Even if I don't use it, I will NOT be buying expensive software to run things in my PC....Home Studio looks like a nice alternative or even n-tracks does not look bad ...I am wondering how many folks have used or do use Tracktion as their sequencer software ?
    I'm not looking for elaborate software....I'm looking for good software, with good features, easy to use, that runs very solid .... I'm trying my best to keep is as simple as possible and still achieve decent results....Next, I will be ordering GS 3 !!
    I'm moving slowly as I do not want to get overwhelmed by learning everything all at once.... I'm ready to move past sollitaire on my PC ...

Thanks again in advance for the help ....Sincerely, Jim

Re: Tracktion ?

I would recommend the Cakewalk line of products for what you are describing. In addition, regarding sounds, if you are seeking an orchestral solution only, consider starting with Garritan Personal Orchestra running inside your sequencer, and wait on Giga until you get your hands dirty.

Thanks for the advice....I've been a Mac user for years, and have just recently had a computer built specifically for Giga as I have been wanting a Giga setup for quite a while now....I've been waiting for it to be ported to the Mac, and have waited long enough !!.... I might go the Garritain setup for my Mac though !!....It really sounds like a nice way to get my hands dirty while I'm putting together my Giga machine ... ......Jim

I own Tracktion, Sonar, Sawstudio, Freestyle, and have Demos of Samplitude. If you are going to record only MIDI, Freestyle (a motu product) just smokes all the others. If you are going to record only audio, Sawstudio is smokin. Those choices on my system are an absolute no brainer. My problem occurs when I want to do both. Tracktion is probably my go to in that case, it is VERY VERY VERY easy to understand and use. I use Sonar as a last resort, because of the damn "dropouts", it is a CPU HOG.

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I might go the Garritain setup for my Mac though !!....It really sounds like a nice way to get my hands dirty while I'm putting together my Giga machine ... ......Jim
    I have GPO on my PC laptop but also on my Mac, running inside DP 4.5. Great stuff.

Kickn,
    Which program has the drop outs that you mention, and which program is CPU intensive ?.....VERY VERY VERY EASY translates very well to what I want to do .. ......Thanks, Jim

Aplanchard,
    I have still not updated my Mac to OSX .....I'm still running 9.2.2 ...... I am contemplating a new Mac to go with my new PC....Probably a dual 2.5 ....Then I will call MOTU and order the update....Thanks for the info .. Jim

Sonar drops out, Tracktion demos can be downloaded off www.mackie.com, then just play, just makes a hiss every 20 seconds until you decide to buy. I really wish Freestyle came as a Demo, like I said, it does not do audio, but for sequencing, WOW!!!!!!!! I can record say drums, Rhodes, and upright as a verse, a different verse 2 , a chorus , and a bridge, tweak just the hi hat a bit louder (MIX just that note on the fly!, that "note" being say, the closed hat all the way thru the song as a percentage, drag one bad note on the rhodes, and put the whole song together as verse verse, verse2 chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, in less than 5 minutes!!!! and with ease and flow unequalled in any other sequencer. Freestyle will even follow your tempo changes if you want Rubato, altho that feature can confuse it a bit depending on the degree of slow down and speed up, and the type of notes you are playing (triplets, sixteenths etc.) Freestyle is trackless, it is more of a composer's software, you think in sections of music, and NO COPY PASTE CRAP!!!!! altho it will do that to if thats the way you think, but you just tell the program what goes where with quick keystrokes, I am serious, with Freestyle you just never stop, paste, copy, do computer crap, you JUST COMPOSE NON STOP!! So, what do I not like about it? It is hard to initially "set up" your settings, but once you do, that is also a time saver, because it is designed to save you time when you get ready to open a new file for a fresh composition. You must read the first chapter or 2 to understand how to do this tho, in fact I read the whole book because it does so much (dont worry the book is only 80 pages or so). I am really baffled that more Gigastudio owners are not aware of this software, and are trudging along in copy cut paste drag land, this is trully a "sleeper" software.

oops, you are getting it for free anyway! (tracktion). cool, so buy Freestyle if you do Midi, I will do some stuff in tracktion , then if I want to edit a lot of midi stuff, I will import that info into Freestyle and do my edits!

Hey Jim, They have Freestyle Demos now!!!! Go to www.motu.com, and enjoy. Hey, dont forget the initial "setup studio" is a bit confusing, but dont give up, Freestyle with set you..........FREE

Go Back to forum