• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Percussion for movie scores

Share/Bookmark

Red face Percussion for movie scores

Okay, this feels a bit cheap but...

Any ideas for heavy film-score drum/percussion samples? I know that there is Stormdrums, and I might go for that in the end, but are there any "smaller" (and yes, cheaper) alternatives? Either loops or (preferably) kits? It feels like Stormdrums contains more things I don't want or need than things i do want and need. Or have I got it wrong?

I do have orchestral percussion, so that's not what I'm looking for, but rather those "over the top" percussion sounds...

Finest regards,
    Rico

Re: Percussion for movie scores

Try Percussive Adventures 2 or the LE version if you don't want to spend too much $$.

I also still find Supreme Beats quite useable.

Also, you might look into Culture.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

G-Town is actually quite good for that type of thing (and its free). Maybe d/load the Sam True strike freebies, try sampling your own stuff...
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Sure, why not? Blow the dust off your old timpani set and 36" bass drum you stacked on your attic.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions... One thing I should have added in my post is that I don't want to go GigaStudio for a couple of reasons.

I was looking at Stormbreakz, but it seems it is quite the opposite of what I want (i.e. StormDrums with less "movie-style" percussion and more trance/hip-hop stuff).

Culture and Percussive adventures might be for me though, and maybe Supreme Beats.

Again, thanks!
    /Rico

andyt

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Sure, why not? Blow the dust off your old timpani set and 36" bass drum you stacked on your attic.
    LOL ... yup, always knew it would be worth hanging on to those old tubular bells, gongs and artilliary canon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    LOL ... yup, always knew it would be worth hanging on to those old tubular bells, gongs and artilliary canon too.
    Smart Azzes. A LOT of composers record their own percussion, ok you may not have a bass drum lying around, but theres always shakers, bongos that sort of thing to add a live feel to your cues.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

I've actually gotten some pretty good results just banging around my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Smart Azzes. A LOT of composers record their own percussion, ok you may not have a bass drum lying around, but theres always shakers, bongos that sort of thing to add a live feel to your cues.
    I recorded some small percussion just a few weeks ago. From Cabasa to Frame Drum ;-)

The way I get that big orchestral percussion sound is by combining orchestral toms, orchestral bass drum, timpani and orchestral snare for each hit. Adjust the volumes of each to suit your needs.

You can get great samples of these instruments for free at G-Town and Sam Project.

Mark

Go Back to forum