• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar Help...

Share/Bookmark

Sonar Help...

Guys,

I'm trying to help a friend of mine use Sonar and GPO together and he's getting very poor playback. The computer should be more than enough to handle the orchestration of the piece he's playing so I'm wondering if there's not something else going on. First off, any ideas you can give as to how to optimize Sonar's performance would be appreciated since my knowledge of that program is a big whopping ZERO. Please be as detailed as possible in your response since I'll be the one relaying the info to him.

Also, what is the step by step process to loading the VST version of GPO in Sonar instead of the DXi, since this could also be the culprit? The issue at hand is pretty high CPU usage as well as popping/clicking on export. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Joe Schmoe Burrell

Re: Sonar Help...

To load GPO as VST, do as follows:

Start/All Programs/Cakewalk/Cakewalk VST Adapter 4
    Select folders if necessary
    Next
    (Ignore any failure messages)
    When list appears, make GPO Enabled but NOT DXi.

That should do it.

As to streamling Sonar for best performance, shut down everything else possible; certainly Internet connection and anti-virus protection.

Maybe people know other things?

I'm trying to help a friend of mine use Sonar and GPO together and he's getting very poor playback. The computer should be more than enough to handle the orchestration of the piece he's playing so I'm wondering if there's not something else going on. First off, any ideas you can give as to how to optimize Sonar's performance would be appreciated since my knowledge of that program is a big whopping ZERO. Please be as detailed as possible in your response since I'll be the one relaying the info to him..
    Frequently, I have seen (and experienced myself) using ASIO drivers yield better performance, if the soundcard supports ASIO. Higher buffer settings may also help.

Some help from the Cakewalk website:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb2003174.asp
    http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/kb2003175.asp
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp...&mpage=3&key=# - bottom of page 3
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp...e=1&key=clicks

Also, what is the step by step process to loading the VST version of GPO in Sonar instead of the DXi, since this could also be the culprit? The issue at hand is pretty high CPU usage as well as popping/clicking on export. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Copy the PersonalOrchestraVST.dll to the Sonar VST folder and run Cakewalk's VST Adapter against it. I have both DXi and VSTi versions available and distinguish between the two by using the Plugin Manager to rename them GPO-DXi and GPO-VSTi.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The issue at hand is pretty high CPU usage as well as popping/clicking on export.
    Joseph,
    You didn't say what CPU/soundcard you're dealing with, but from my experience, this symptom is almost always a latency issue. I'd suggest this:

Reprofile the soundcard in SONAR by going to "Options | Audio..." and clicking the "Wave Profiler..." button (if present). Then back off the latency to about 50ms or so.

If you are using ASIO drivers, this button may say "ASIO Panel..." or something. Open the panel. It may allow you to set the latency there. If it refers to buffer size, set it at 2048, which is about 46ms latency at 44.1.

These are high latencies, but you can try to reduce them gradually later to get a good balance between CPU load and latency once you get the thing working.

If this doesn't work, there's a more radical approach...check back...I know you are a regular here.
    Bill

1.7 Ghz PC with 512 MB of RAM. Audiophile 24/96 or Creative Audigy LS.

Sorry to butt in here but, Joseph, are you feeling better? Gary and I were talking on the phone the other day and he was talking about all the GPO folks that were sick, naming them one by one....
    talk about a caring individual.

Guys,

... The issue at hand is pretty high CPU usage as well as popping/clicking on export. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    When exporting audio, try and unselect the "Fast Bounce" option under the "Mix Enables" section. This will take a lot longer, but the tradeoff seems to be that Sonar really waits for the Kontakt engine to do its thing. When I've had this problem in the past, this fixed it.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Sorry to butt in here but, Joseph, are you feeling better? Gary and I were talking on the phone the other day and he was talking about all the GPO folks that were sick, naming them one by one....
    talk about a caring individual.
    A little. I've had sinus problems since last Saturday and they are getting better. Of course, it moved from my sinuses to my chest, so now I have a terrible cough, but what do you do? Thanks for your concern. Gary is tops.

1.7 Ghz PC with 512 MB of RAM. Audiophile 24/96 or Creative Audigy LS.
    Although I still have an Audigy card in my system alongside a Delta 1010lt, some people report that Audigy's don't play well with others in their system. Might be related to the problem? Also, I get excellent low-latency performance with my M-Audio card using the most recent WDM drivers. ASIO didn't cut it for me.

Jim

I should also mention that the PC is redlining with only a few instruments playing, looking at his screenshot, maybe 10. I don't think this is normal for this CPU, since I was getting better performance out of a 1 Ghz P3 a year ago.

Go Back to forum