• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are all PMI pianos 48 KHz ?

Are all PMI pianos 48 KHz ?

I read on one of the PMI webpages about one of the pianos being 24 bit @ 48 KHz ?

This won't be compatible with my Giga PC, which runs at 44.1 (RME HDSP multface) for compatibility reasons.

Re: Are all PMI pianos 48 KHz ?

Don't worry, all soft-samplers re-sample internally to the desired output frequency.
    You can load a mixture of 44.1, 48 and 96 or 88 kHz samples all in one instrument and the sampler engine will deliver sound in the sampling frequency as set in the sampler hadware setup without de-tuned samples or any other artefacts.
    I believe all samplers use a very high internal operating speed and re-sample the audio material upon play-back. Remember modern CPU's are running at 3 GHz (that is 3.000.000 kHz) so there is room for Low Frequency Audio re-sampling.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

thanks Michiel

What is the cpu hit of 16 vs 24 bit samples (my giga PC is P4 2.4 with 1 GB RAM) ?

CPU is not much affected so it seems. The polyphony hit is more important, you should expect a typical drop in performance of about 33% when you change from 16 to 24 bit samples. This is mainly because the amount of data that travels from the hard drive to the CPU is 50% higher when 24 bits samples are used.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

By the way the RME HDSP works fine at 48 (will do a variety of rates up to 96), however I have used a number of Post's pianos at 41K (since if you're going to make CD's you've got to get to that rate anyhow).

Go Back to forum