• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: new age of censorship has begun

Share/Bookmark

new age of censorship has begun

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    COX threatened with lawsuits if "saving private ryan airs"!!!

from news blues( a tv inside inndustry website).

Atlanta-based Cox Broadcasting has notified its three ABC affiliates (WSB-2, Atlanta; WFTV-9, Orlando; WSOC-9, Charlotte) that they cannot air the Academy Award-winning feature film "Saving Private Ryan," scheduled for broadcast tomorrow evening from 7-11 p.m. on ABC.

The graphic film, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Hanks and considered the finest depiction of the second World War, has already appeared twice on network television but, according to one Cox manager who requested anonymity, the FCC's recent push against explicit content has "newly energized" conservative critics and created a "new national sensitivity."

Cox, he says, "has been threatened with lawsuits" if the program airs

Re: new age of censorship has begun

Ah, the FCC can go to hell. I'm really disappointed with them lately.. they're turning into a Big Brother. They should just shut the hell up and do their normal job, part of which is to make sure my wireless router doesn't sexually harrass my neighbor's cordless phone.

Hmm..doesn't Bush have buddies in the FCC? PS: Do you have a link to this article?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

In this case its COX who is doing the suing.

The FCC stance on explicit content started after the Janet Jackson Superbowl. They've issued a number of fines for obscenities. They haven't taken any position on political content or anti-war films.

Conservatives like the fact that the FCC has fined the media for obscene content. But they can't really extend the FCC's actions into the realm of conservative vs. liberal political or ideological content.

The area in which I question the FCC is their willingness to allow more and more concentrated media ownership. Aside from that they've been pretty reasonable.

Oh year, Michael Powell, son of Colin, is the current FCC chairman, but he is largely expected to step down this term. Dad used to have a seat on the AOL board.

-JF

Oh.. I interpreted the post differently, that Cox was threatened with lawsuits.

"COX threatened with lawsuits if "saving private ryan airs"!!!"

"Cox, he says, "has been threatened with lawsuits" if the program airs"
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

As far as I'm concerned, the FCC should have absolutely NO jurisdiction over cable networks, as private networks are not "commons", but rather are private property. Cox should therefore be able to "air" whatever the heck they feel like.

It's perverse. It's not alright to show realistic faked war. But it's OK to wage war and create the horror for real.

Ahh. I got it right that the FCC is not material to this situation, but I got the Cox thing wrong.

ABC is the network and has scheduled Private Ryan to be broadcast. Cox owns various broadcast (not cable) affiliates. Some unnamed 3rd parties have threatened to sue the affiliate stations if they air the movie. Cox has requested its stations not to air the movie.

I hope that Cox doesn't crumble under the pressure of these lawsuits. They should air the program and stand up for their rights to do so. And if they want to air the 700 Club this weekend, they should have the balls to do that too - even if an anti-christian group threatens them with a suit.

The threatened law suits add up to a 21st century book burning.

-JF

Question Re: new age of censorship has begun

I'm just asking here, has the thrust of the suit stated that it was because it was "anti-war" or was it because of the bloody and violent content?

This movie had paid particular attention and won even more awards (down to the doppler of the bullets) for the intense graphic field of theater (of war) content.

I'm curious about how people can use government-owned airwaves to legally transmit religious messages: I understand that the groups license the right to use the airwaves, but how can the government sell these licenses for religious broadcasts without violating the separation of church\state clause? Isn't this a promotion of religion for a fee?

Can any religion buy space on the airwaves this way? (I think it still costs about $100 to set up a religious organization in most states...)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I hope that Cox doesn't crumble under the pressure of these lawsuits. They should air the program and stand up for their rights to do so. And if they want to air the 700 Club this weekend, they should have the balls to do that too - even if an anti-christian group threatens them with a suit.
    Good for you, Jon! Refreshing to see an even-handed remark here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    I'm curious about how people can use government-owned airwaves to legally transmit religious messages: I understand that the groups license the right to use the airwaves, but how can the government sell these licenses for religious broadcasts without violating the separation of church\state clause? Isn't this a promotion of religion for a fee?
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free excersize thereof"

Religious ideas are free speech just as much as non-religious ones. I'm so fed up with this mentality of considering religious views as separate but un-equal.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast