• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Laptop: Which CPU for GPO?

Lightbulb New Laptop: Which CPU for GPO?

I'm thinking of purchasing a new laptop and was wondering if Jeff/Tom or any other wise GPO user out there knows were I should turn re: CPU...

An Intel 3.2 HT or an AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+ 2.20 GHz? Clearly, if the decision is based soley on processor speed, then it has to be Intel. I just like the 64 because it's so efficient and future-upgradable.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Re: New Laptop: Which CPU for GPO?

For cache and RAM thruput I'd go with AMD. I think it also is capable of more calculations than the P4 at this point (but I'd have to check on that.)

Talking Re: New Laptop: Which CPU for GPO?

I was certainly hoping to hear a cheer for AMD...it's so incredibly efficient, so powerful and with the potential of a Windows 64 somewhere in the relatively near future, it's really what I'd prefer. But of course, the Intel cycles faster (at 3.2ghz).

Thanks for YOUR thruput, Mr. Burrell!

Clock speed isn't everything nowadays. Intel has finally saw the light on this as well.

I have both Intel and AMD, I am happy with both.

I love my e-Machines M6810 with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor. I produced a few GPO tunes with it in the last week or so and the only gripe I have about laptops is that their RAM is expensive. The M6810 comes with 512 Mb and I can clearly see the need for a Gig or more.

Other than that, I am a die-hard AMD fan when it comes to DAW's.
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Thanks all for the help!

Now I don't want to beat a dead horse but quoting Gary: "It seems that the people with the most problems have slower Mac processors. There appears to be a direct correlation between processor speed and performance."

Is this strictly a Mac issue? Perhaps a non-issue with AMD 64?

Thanks again!

Read the AMD vs P4 thread in the Sample Libraries Discussion forum.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum