• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL - Help with setting up instruments

Share/Bookmark

VSL - Help with setting up instruments

Hello all,

I've recently purchased Opus 1 for giga and have been playing around with it now for a couple of weeks. Although all the instruments sound fantastic, I'm finding the challenge of determing which instruments to load and the best means of employing them a bit daunting. For example, with all the variety of Violin samples, I'm not sure in which order they should be loaded, or which ones I would use most. I have some knowledge of orchestration, but the fact that I have to load 30 some gig files just so I can write a decent violin section part is making this really complicated.

If anyonoe can suggest some ideas/templates/solutions, or provide some insight as to meshing the orchestration world with the world of virtual orchestras, I'd be in your debt.

Also, currently I do not have a keyboard that can send program changes. Would utilizing a keyboard that does send changes so I can load one gig file into one track solve this problem?

Thank you very much,

MCK

Exclamation Re: VSL - Help with setting up instruments

Hi- Sorry I can't help much with your problem and am writing here mainly because you mentioned Opus 1 (don't know how to introduce a topic directly so must do it in the form of a reply to someone else's topic of related interest). I have Digital Performer 4.12, a Mac G5 and have just gotten Mach 5. I am trying to write music for movies and to that purpose I got Garritan Personal Orchestra. The sounds are terrific but I find that the "change velocity" command of DP will not affect the ensemble sounds of GOP (although it will affect the solo instruments, keyboards and percussion and oddly enough the bassoons). This is a serious drawback for me because, as the strings, for example, play the majority of the time in orchestral pieces, it is a distinct disadvantage not to be able to control their volume with the very efficient "change velocity" command of DP (I realize that volume can be affected by using the mod wheel in GOP or on my actual keyboard or by automating the mixer in DP, but that to me is an extremely inefficient way to go about doing things as compared to using "change velocity" in DP. With that command you can make crescendos and diminuendos simply by selecting the passage you want to work with, you can lower or raise the volume of the whole piece or a passage, again by simply selecting it, or a single note can be accented by just selecting it and raising the volume by 50 or 75% by using that command. Without it you would have to punch in and out to make changes - cumbersome). I talked to Gary Garritan and also to one of the engineers that worked on GOP and, after much correspondence, I am told that GOP will not, in fact work as a plug-in in DP in the way I want it to work as described above - its greatest value is as a stand-alone. A pity since the sounds are so great. My question to you (or anyone else who might know) is: will Mach 5 working with DP make it any easier for me to use the "change velocity" command in DP with GOP. If not, is Opus 1 as great as they say it is and will it work with Mach 5 (is Mach 5 even necessary?) and DP (most especially, the "change velocity" command pf DP)? I've also checked into the Sounds of the Vienna Orchestra - really great but pricey. Is there anything else out there? Sorry to be so wordy - would very, very much appreciate any thoughts, suggestions (and perhaps someone could also tell me how to introduce a topic directly into the Forum without having to intrude into someone else's topic. I've asked NorthernSounds but they have not replied). Thx OJ

Re: VSL - Help with setting up instruments

Hi OJ,

I couldn't help replyiny not only because it will recyle what I thought was a dead topic to the top of the list, but also because I found it humerous that you were using the acronym GOP, instead of GPO - as much as I like the Grand Ol Party, it probably doesn't sound as good as Garritan.

Anyway, your current sampler is mach 1, which means that you will have to convert all of the VSL files (if you can - I'm not familiar with mach 1). Otherwsie, you will need some other sampler - the current formats are Giga, Halion, Kontakt and ESX. This is not a standalone app.

As a user of OPus, however, I can tell you it's fantastic - I also have GPO - there is no comparison. I use GPO on my Mac as an instrument plug in in DP4.5 - while Opus is being run on a dedicated PC. Unfortunately, with respect to your question of velocity changing - I haven't had that much success controlling the instruments in Giga either. I might be missing something, so, I'll experiment tonight with some velocity changes on various OPus instruments and let you know how it goes.

-MCK

Re: VSL - Help with setting up instruments

Quote Originally Posted by orijames
    Hi- Sorry I can't help much with your problem and am writing here mainly because you mentioned Opus 1 (don't know how to introduce a topic directly so must do it in the form of a reply to someone else's topic of related interest). I have Digital Performer 4.12, a Mac G5 and have just gotten Mach 5. I am trying to write music for movies and to that purpose I got Garritan Personal Orchestra. The sounds are terrific but I find that the "change velocity" command of DP will not affect the ensemble sounds of GOP (although it will affect the solo instruments, keyboards and percussion and oddly enough the bassoons). This is a serious drawback for me because, as the strings, for example, play the majority of the time in orchestral pieces, it is a distinct disadvantage not to be able to control their volume with the very efficient "change velocity" command of DP (I realize that volume can be affected by using the mod wheel in GOP or on my actual keyboard or by automating the mixer in DP, but that to me is an extremely inefficient way to go about doing things as compared to using "change velocity" in DP. With that command you can make crescendos and diminuendos simply by selecting the passage you want to work with, you can lower or raise the volume of the whole piece or a passage, again by simply selecting it, or a single note can be accented by just selecting it and raising the volume by 50 or 75% by using that command. Without it you would have to punch in and out to make changes - cumbersome). I talked to Gary Garritan and also to one of the engineers that worked on GOP and, after much correspondence, I am told that GOP will not, in fact work as a plug-in in DP in the way I want it to work as described above - its greatest value is as a stand-alone. A pity since the sounds are so great. My question to you (or anyone else who might know) is: will Mach 5 working with DP make it any easier for me to use the "change velocity" command in DP with GOP. If not, is Opus 1 as great as they say it is and will it work with Mach 5 (is Mach 5 even necessary?) and DP (most especially, the "change velocity" command pf DP)? I've also checked into the Sounds of the Vienna Orchestra - really great but pricey. Is there anything else out there? Sorry to be so wordy - would very, very much appreciate any thoughts, suggestions (and perhaps someone could also tell me how to introduce a topic directly into the Forum without having to intrude into someone else's topic. I've asked NorthernSounds but they have not replied). Thx OJ
    OJ - not to be a pain, buy come on brother! Let's see some paragraph spaces (every 2,3 sentences or sooner). Very tough to read. Makes me NOT want to read it.

How about it my friend.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum