• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disney stole my thunder..part 2 (legal questions, sorta)

Share/Bookmark

Disney stole my thunder..part 2 (legal questions, sorta)

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    OK.. so now that Disney bought the rights to the book I was going to adapt to the silver screen... I'm wondering how long they have exclusive rights to it. The reason I ask is because Disney had a Peter Pan cartoon.. but that didn't stop people from making other Peter Pan movies. Granted, the cartoon was from the 50s. But even just a couple decades after, there were TV versions and plays and such. So.. how does this whole thing work? Am I gonna have to contact Disney to find out how long they own the rights?

(can you tell this is really bugging me?)
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Disney stole my thunder..part 2 (legal questions, sorta)

If I understand what you are asking has to do with legal rights, and copyright ownership of J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan...then Disney does not own it, or have any exclusive licence in any way other than the animated likeness of the characters, music, ect. in the 1953 film. In other words Disney's version of Peter Pan is the only thing they own, they dont have the rights for the story tied up for thier exclusive use.

From 1928 onwards, all royalties from the sales of Peter Pan were donated to the Great Ormond Street Childrens Hospital. In 1987 (50 years after Barrie's death), when normally royalty rights would have expired, by a special act of Parliament, royalties were allowed to continue going to the hospital in perpetuity.

My advice is to move on. Once Disney has it I doubt they'll ever give it up.

For years I was obsessed with a book by Robert Silverberg called The Book of Skulls. I knew it would make a great movie. One day I pitched it to a film exec, but told him I didn't own the rights and didn't know if anyone did. He loved the story and wanted to take it to MTV Films. Great news. But first we had to find out who owned the rights, and he said he'd check into it.

The next day he called me, said we're out of luck. Some guy had bought the exclusive film rights and owned them outright. That guy was busy trying to make a deal at Paramount or Universal, I can't remember which. Anyway, as much as I loved the book and the idea, I had to give it up.

To this day the movie has not been made, but to my knowledge, the guy still owns the rights... Oh, well.

Spooky,

I read the Book of Skulls 1982 and thought it would make a great film. I made an adaptation to a movie script a few years ago, and we tried to make it happen. Ran into the same problems as you. The rights were bought by an individual (not just the option!!). My wife picked a director that she thought would be good for the movie. It turns out he is already attached to the movie and it is supposedly in pre-production.

How about that???

Spooky.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Adamson
    Spooky,

I read the Book of Skulls 1982 and thought it would make a great film. I made an adaptation to a movie script a few years ago, and we tried to make it happen. Ran into the same problems as you. The rights were bought by an individual (not just the option!!). My wife picked a director that she thought would be good for the movie. It turns out he is already attached to the movie and it is supposedly in pre-production.

How about that???

Spooky.

Hans
    Hey, Hans, we must be on the same wavelength. Love that book. And hope they don't totally screw it up. Who's the director, by the way?

Hey Rob,

The director is William Friedkin, one of the veterans in Hollywood. He made "The Exorcist".

Hans

I would think that with so many independent presses out there, there's got to be some approachable writers with good stories that can be adapted to film?

I mean, aren't we part of the problem if we can't manage to look beyond the first layer?

I would recommend doing a web search for independent presses, I know quite a few independent writers who are simply excellent and very willing to work with someone on a movie or videogame adaptation.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Adamson
    Hey Rob,

The director is William Friedkin, one of the veterans in Hollywood. He made "The Exorcist".

Hans
    Yeah, I looked it up on IMDB. Friedkin has always been a favorite. Besides the Exorcist, he did a GREAT movie called Sorcerer, and, of course, To Live and Die in LA.

His track record is a little spotty these days. Hope he does the book justice.

How about "The French Connection"!? I just saw that again the other night --- GREAT movie! He directed that, right?
    I think so. That's one of my favorite movies. And Gene Hackman is my favorite actor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    How about "The French Connection"!? I just saw that again the other night --- GREAT movie! He directed that, right?

Ern
    Jeez, how could I forget that. I've got the double disk set, French Connection and French Connection II (which, by the way, is a great movie, too -- directed by John Frankenheimer).

Go Back to forum