• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Suggestions for "Scratching" samples/library/VI

Share/Bookmark

Question Suggestions for "Scratching" samples/library/VI

I find myself in uncharted territory. I need some scratching samples for a project i'm on. Since this is not an area in which I work very often I'm not even sure how to describe what I'm looking for. What I need is short-ish scratch phrases that would take the place of regular drum fills. (remember the intro to Michael Jackson's "Jam"?) I'd love them to be able to sync to tempo. I have Stylus (the original, RMX on the way) but the stuff in there isn't quite rhythmic enough or punchy enough for what I need.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

Steve

Re: Suggestions for "Scratching" samples/library/VI

1. There's some free Emu Planet Phatt soundfonts floating around on the net that I've found surprisingly useful...Or you can invest $10-20 in the full CDs which they're currently blowing out here
    2. I've heard some stuff from modernbeats.com that sounds pretty good
    3. You could probably bring in a real live turntablist (?) to do a session for a fairly reasonable price...plus you'd have custom samples and the parts would be played-to-order

But I am a bit surprised you didn't find anything useful enough in Stylus...

Hope this helps!

Red face Re: Suggestions for "Scratching" samples/library/VI

I know samples are the way you are trying to go, but I would suggest a very inexpensive LP player and an old-school rap record to scratch with. They make scratch records as well. It would probably be cheaper than a sample cd - not to mention you'll probably have a heck of a fun time trying to figure out the scratching. Lol. And remember, that nobody has to know a fellow composer was "scratchin" in his quiet, peaceful, personal studio.

Something about a composer "scratchin" in his quiet studio makes me laugh. I guess it is just a funny image to me. Lol!

If you need to get a cd, try some of the "Nu" series from Soundsonline. I'm not sure which ones have them off the top of my head, but they might be a good start.

Jonathan
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Hi!

I find the Stylus stuff to be pretty OK but what makes scratching so unique is the technique of the scratcher.....so to speak.

I don't think any sample library will really capture that for some time, its incredibly complex, more so than it gets credit for. I guess RMX has the potential with S.A.G.E and Chaos etc.

I would suggest finding a DJ to scratch to a few drum loops at various tempos and maing your own samples.

Other than that, get to a DJ store and find the sample records (like fart sounds and stuff!). Once you have a few vinyl records, transfer them to your DAW and play about.

I find you can get pretty cool effects by using time stretching, pitch shifting etc then cutting up.....its pretty laborious but can work in a mix. Also, taking a bar loop or hit from your mix and then re-sampling it, pitching it etc can work well as an effect. If you have access to it, Serato Pitch n'Time looks good for it......

IIRC, CoolEdit used to have a pitch shift patch for vinyl records, dive stops etc that sort of thing..

By chopping up a groove in your daw, say to 16ths, muting sections, fading in sections, reversing sections, pitching, time-shifting etc, you can create scratch like grooves......blend a vinyl noise sample with the loop first before editing to get more authentic sound.....combinations of this and Stylus would be great also.

Also as much as I hate to say it, to make them more punchy, compress the hell out of them, perhaps even smash them with a limiter, we're not talking audiophile here, this is sound design, and most Djs run their decks into the RED, creating all sorts of distortion, albeit analogue.

Other than that perhaps check out Final Scratch etc
    Just a few ideas, Hope it helps.
    Tom

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Morrell
    I find myself in uncharted territory. I need some scratching samples for a project i'm on. Since this is not an area in which I work very often I'm not even sure how to describe what I'm looking for. What I need is short-ish scratch phrases that would take the place of regular drum fills. (remember the intro to Michael Jackson's "Jam"?) I'd love them to be able to sync to tempo. I have Stylus (the original, RMX on the way) but the stuff in there isn't quite rhythmic enough or punchy enough for what I need.

Steve
    Here's a novel idea. Carry your sweet white tushy down to the hood and find somebody who will come scratch on your tune. There are some things which should never be done. This is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Morrell

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I have a link to a great vst plugin called " Turntablist Pro". It's really easy to use.

http://www.bioroid.com/plugins.html
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

There are a couple of Acid loops that could be used as well. Here is the generic Acid Hip-Hop page:
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ault.asp?cid=8

and I have this CD with a fair number of scratch loops:
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...op.asp?SPID=57

Take Care
    Never wrestle in the mud with a pig.
    You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K.
    Hi Steve,

I have a link to a great vst plugin called " Turntablist Pro". It's really easy to use.

http://www.bioroid.com/plugins.html
    Also, FruityLoops has two plugins -- one is called called WaveTraveller

http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/pl...0Traveller.htm

the other is called Scratcher

http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/pl...0Scratcher.htm

Add a sample of an old R&B record and you're good to go, well in theory at least. The cool thing about WaveTraveller is that the "scratch" is defined by spline curves.

Of course, you need to buy Fruity to get the plugs, but those plugs should come with the "Fruityloops Edition" which is $99 and is downloadable. the "Fruityloops" and "Producer" editions can be used as VSTi/DXi/Rewire, which is probably what you want (i.e., NOT "Fruity Express").

- Keith

--That's pretty cold, sir.

---It just depends, IMO.

---I got the Planet Phatt CDs after having a similar need. And they work surprisingly well for various cliche effects (spin-up, wiki-wiki-wiki, etc.).

---But then once I bluffed my way through -that- job, I got a deck and a mixer and started learning more about it from some serious guys. And it really is an art.

So: If you just need an odd effect here and there the CDs will work fine.

If you need the real deal, yeah, find someone. And you don't need to hit 'the hood'. You'd be amazed at the number of turntable guys at your local suburban high school who know all about doing a perfect crab/flare a la Q-Bert.

Good luck.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Here's a novel idea. Carry your sweet white tushy down to the hood and find somebody who will come scratch on your tune. There are some things which should never be done. This is one of them.

but I would suggest a very inexpensive LP player and an old-school rap record to scratch with.
    I would like to see what scratching sound you get from a very inexpensive LP Player, really. Most Players are just not suited for scratching by definition - you need a turntable with direct drive - and you will probably just ruin that player (Here, very inexpensive would definitely be an advantage). Basically DJs make use of the technics SL1210 MKII (or some derivation of this one, e.g. Stanton ..) and a mixer with a crossfader to achieve good results. But then you still have to learn that instrument...
    Hmm...
    I would suggest take the Plug-ins, the Sample-Cds or hire a decent DJ at least for your current project. Or just forget what I have said and experiment with everything you can lie your hands on, you might not find what you wanted but create the booty-shaking flava of tomorrow

Go Back to forum