Topic: Generosity index

Share/Bookmark

Generosity index

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Check it out, scroll down to the "generosity index" chart:
    http://www.michellemalkin.com/

Re: Generosity index

That's very nice. Now we know where Jerry Fallwell gets his money.

Now I know where to solicit for the Mike Needs More Libraries Foundation
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Michelle Malkin is almost as bad as Ann Coulter! I had the pleasure of seeing Michelle totally obliterated in a discussion on one of the news channels.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

So what? The table is from a chart compiled by a completely separate and independent group. Click the links about the chart to see.

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Michelle Malkin is almost as bad as Ann Coulter! I had the pleasure of seeing Michelle totally obliterated in a discussion on one of the news channels.
    I saw that same interview with Chrissy Mathews - he was totally unprofessional - rude - nasty - never shut up (as usual), SCREAMING and RANTING like a drill sargeant (completely un-journalistic) - soiled himself with his leftist bent and later had to apologize.

An even BETTER interview was when Zell Miller (D) said to Chris Matthews one night: "Get out of my face"! And ripped Chris a new one for assaulting Malkin. It's inside of MSNBS's promo loop now and runs every night.

I've seen Michelle here in Berkley live. The audience was so nasty, rude and corrosive - people screaming obscenities, shouting her down (as usual) and actually THROWING things at the stage. It was TOTALLY embarrassing (for them) and they where making her point for her!

IMHO Michelle is extremely beautiful, super intelligent, thoughtful and very educated.

Regarding the generosity index, note that it doesn't take cost of living into account.

As an example, my brother-in-law and his family fell on hard times about ten years ago. They were living near Sacramento and he was in not one but two serious car accidents. Rent was about $800 per month for a two bedroom appartment.

Fortunately, he had family in Clifton, AZ - a small mining town. They moved in with relatives, his wife got a job at the Circle K and they bought their house - for all of $24,000. Things have worked out well - she's now a school administrator and he owns a wireless internet service provider business.

I'm pretty sure that they earned more money when they lived in California, but they have much more disposable income living in Arizona. They can afford to be more generous now.

-JF

Maybe I wasn't clear. Christians in the south give money to the church which is then used to fund right wing propaganda. The very money that they give, is used to keep the truth from them. That's what your generocity index shows. That religion has become a problem in the US. The government abuses the people and then keeps them sane by promising them eternal life, after this awful one ends.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Regarding the generosity index, note that it doesn't take cost of living into account.
    Then that would mean the Red States are even farther ahead of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I'm pretty sure that they earned more money when they lived in California, but they have much more disposable income living in Arizona. They can afford to be more generous now.
    That’s not how it works. Jobs here in lower-CoL states pay less too. That’s why the average income here is so much lower than that in high CoL states. If the study is in raw dollar amounts that are not CoL adjusted, then for every dollar given in a low-CoL state, they are giving MORE VALUE than in a higher CoL state. So that tips the scale even further toward the “Red States”.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Maybe I wasn't clear. Christians in the south give money to the church which is then used to fund right wing propaganda.
    You don’t know what you’re talking about, Nick. Churches can’t fund political causes lest they lose their tax-exempt status – something hardly any church is willing to do. I would say most church tithes and offerings go to supporting the operations of the church, funding overseas missionaries, and running local outreach and assistance programs.

Brady,

Let's look at some numbers. Here are some from 1999:

In California the median house price was $217,000. The median house price in Oklahoma was $79,800. That's nearly a three to one ratio.

In California the median household income was $42,262. In Oklahoma it was $33,311. That's a ratio of about 1.27 to one.

For a back of the envelope calculation, let's say the California homeowner pays $2,170 per month for their mortgage, and the Oklahoman pays $798 per month. And lets say that both pay about 25% in overall taxes.

Californian
    ----------
    $42,262 income
    -$10,566 tax
    -$26,040 housing
    =$5,656 disposable income

Oklahoman
    ----------
    $33,311 income
    -$8,328 tax
    -$9,576 housing
    =$15,407 disposable income

This doesn't even take into account the higher tax bracket of the Californians, the higher State Income Tax and Sales Tax, higher insurance costs, higher gasoline costs, higher electricity costs and so on.

Granted, nobody earning $40K/yr in California is going to get a loan for a $200k house. They might own a cheaper house, or be stuck in the rent trap. It is possible to buy an $80k home on a $33K salary, and that lets you build equity and write off the interest payments.

I've done the calculations many times. In my profession salaries only vary from area to area by ten or twenty percent, but housing costs can vary by factors of three or more. You're almost always better off financially by taking the pay cut and living in the less expensive area.

Bottom line: it's not the gross income that matters, it's the disposable income.

-JF

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast