• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer/Hollywood Reporter Event

Share/Bookmark

Talking Composer/Hollywood Reporter Event

http://www.billboardevents.com/billb...2004/index.jsp

Not sure if I can get any discounts for this, am looking into it right now.

Seems to be a good panel this year.

If interested, drop me a PM and I'll let you know the prices I come up with.

Peace.

Re: Composer/Hollywood Reporter Event

Why do I need to go to that? I see Brian Grazer surfing...

KID-

Oh, and he's not bad for a producer....

KID-

Wink Re: Composer/Hollywood Reporter Event

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    Oh, and he's not bad for a producer....

KID-
    Grin, ok, well I can get the head of Jersey films (one of the owners on the phone any time of the day, what's you point? ....and know A&R people all over the place (smile).

I make mention of this as one can never learn enough, ever. It's always nice to listen to others for inspiration, direction, finding out their struggles, etc. That's all.

I don't think the waves are that cool out here though. Hawaii, now there are some waves...

I'd rather be deep sea fishing in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by retroz
    Grin, ok, well I can get the head of Jersey films (one of the owners on the phone any time of the day, what's you point? ....and know A&R people all over the place (smile).

I make mention of this as one can never learn enough, ever. It's always nice to listen to others for inspiration, direction, finding out their struggles, etc. That's all.

I don't think the waves are that cool out here though. Hawaii, now there are some waves...

I'd rather be deep sea fishing in Maine.
    Come to think of it, I remember this one composer I worked with, man-oh-man, he spent a few hours a day in the studio (if he showed up at all, and it was usally around 1:00 pm, then went golfing 90% of the time. He got about $6500 a week. Ugggggg....not bad, not bad at all.

I hate A&R people *pissed*... agents are much nicer!

That was another joke...

My point? I was just making a joke before... no point really. But yes, I never plan to stop learning.

On to the important stuff...

Yeah, the waves do suck here most of the time, but there's a swell coming this sunday. Wanna go? I have three extra boards.

I started surfing in Hawaii when I was 5 (my uncle was on the Hobie surf team, he 'hooked me up'), and used to live there for a bit (2 years) as a kid. Although, Malibu is pretty dang good on a killer south swell, but Trestles is the shyte... I surf down there all the time. There's always waves in the OC.

Don't forget that Hawaii is completely flat in the summer... and most of the year. It only breaks in the winter. Many spots around the world are like that.

But we all know Cali has THEE sickest wave in THE WORLD... talik'n about ---> MAVERICKS!!! No, I couldn't surf that, either could Brian, though. You ever heard of Mavericks'? (Well, I could probably surf it, but I wouldn't want to try. too much to worry about -- 45 degree water and numb feet, 20 foot great whites, and a completely unpredictable wave that is the second "heaviest" wave in the world, next to Teapu (sp?) pronounced Chopuu. There's also a brake 100 miles off the cost of San Diego that gets up to 70-80 feet (that's 8 stories of water at 100 pounds presser per square foot --- I'll let ya'll do the math). Obviously, surfing that stuff is life and death... or very close to it most of the time.

Surfing is a religion... I've been surfing for 20 years now. (short board not longboard)

So this is an open invitation to whoever wants to go... sure, bring your lap-top if you must work.

That's why i'm "kid-surf"

KID-

Quote Originally Posted by retroz
    Come to think of it, I remember this one composer I worked with, man-oh-man, he spent a few hours a day in the studio (if he showed up at all, and it was usally around 1:00 pm, then went golfing 90% of the time. He got about $6500 a week. Ugggggg....not bad, not bad at all.
    Sounds like a good gig to me....

KID-

i'll be there. ASCAP members can get in for $199.

anyone wanna meet up? that is. . .for those of us who don't surf.

(actually, i'm dying to learn. i surfed in florida last summer, but it's always so freakin cold and foggy at the beach here in SF. feel like giving a lesson, kid?)

john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    I hate A&R people *pissed*... agents are much nicer!

KID-
    :-)

You ever ge tthe feeling A&R are uptight musicians that never made it?

The weirdest gig was A&R of Soundtracks.....working at one label you have all these different A&R persons from different labels trying to get you to use their artists for the sound track... it was a weird reversal of roles.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    i'll be there. ASCAP members can get in for $199.

anyone wanna meet up? that is. . .for those of us who don't surf.

(actually, i'm dying to learn. i surfed in florida last summer, but it's always so freakin cold and foggy at the beach here in SF. feel like giving a lesson, kid?)

john
    I'm thinking about re signing with ASCAP but am waiting on my Fed Tax EIN number for the publishing portion.....yet to hear back from any one with cheaper passes or guest lists.

Keep me posted as I will also.

Go Back to forum