• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: For anyone curious about Gonzales

Share/Bookmark

For anyone curious about Gonzales

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    You should check out the Slate article on the new Bush appointed to the position of Attorney General yesterday:

http://slate.com/id/2109495/

One thing is for sure, this administration never ceases to amaze me!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: For anyone curious about Gonzales

So what is your issue with him?

the article claims that Gonzales did not fulfill his obligations as the governor's lawyer in reporting on the Board of Pardons and Paroles cases involving capital punishment.

Note that his job was not to be an added defense lawyer, but merely to inform the governor of the legal aspects of a case, and they only refer to one case, and it's 29th motion of appeal.

Nowhere do they illustrate how and why he fails at this job, only that he didn't do all that he should've, by the standards of the article writers, not the standards of the law. They link to an article that you must be a subscriber to view. The small portion of the article they do show also contains no specific evidence of anything.

So, given that this article doesn't really have one shred of real information, what is it that you find to be so amazing?
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

It bothers me to have an Attorney General who was in favor of scrapping the Geneva Convention and was willing to help Bush push through as many executions as possible in as short a time as possible.

Those are two issues I have with him. And with the whole despicable regime we have in power right now. And with most of the 52% of the country who voted irresponsibly without thinking about the consequences of the Bush regime.

Was 9/11 a violation of the Geneva convention?

Is terroism a violation of the geneva convention?

Is cutting off heads, taking civllian hostages and executing them, executing prisoners of war, etc..a violation of geneva convention?

Is using a mosque for military operations a violation of the geneva convention?

Is using a school or hospital or redcross/crescent marked vehilces for offsenive operations a violation of geneva convention?

Is the planting of IEDs bombs in civillian areas and police stations a violation of the geneva convention?

Is assasination of gov officials and diplomats a violation of the geneva convention?

Is lining up 40 POWs and shooting them in the back of the head a violation of the geneva convention?

Is dragging civillian contractors out, beating them to death, cutting off their limbs...burning them..then hanging them from a bridge and dancing around them for a video broadcast for news...a violation of the geneva convention?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    It bothers me to have an Attorney General who was in favor of scrapping the Geneva Convention and was willing to help Bush push through as many executions as possible in as short a time as possible.

Those are two issues I have with him. And with the whole descipable regime we have in power right now. And with most of the 52% of the country who voted irresponsibly without thinking about the consequences of the Bush regime.
    All those people executed during Bush's governorship had run through their path of the justice system and arrived at the end. The fact that so many reached their end on Bush's watch is inconsequential to any act of his, other than his refusal to grant a stay.

Does it make you feel better to think that Bush's number one priority as governor was to execute as many people as possible? Cause that's the way your post sounds.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

And therefore whatever we do is also okay, dcornutt?

Frogness, are you saying that the very thought that these people pursued executions with extra vigor is totally off-base?

In my view Bush is replacing a theocrat with a more purebred fascist.

Interestingly, Ashcroft said a lot related to his religious beliefs, but didn't do all that much to impose his religion on us. The biggest exception would be his fight against Oregon's Death with Dignity law.

No, the main problem with Ashcroft was his willingness to trample our rights. We have the Patriot Act, hundreds detained without trial, a complete disregard for the fourth amendment (protection from unreasonable search and seizure).

Just hope you never accidentally end up on a no-fly list. The process for clearing your name is nigh to impossible to navigate.

And how many terrorists were successfully convicted under Ashcroft's watch? Zero. He stomped on our rights and produced zero positive results.

Now we get Mr. Abu Graib-Guantanamo himself. He is the Anti-Geneva.

And they said that they support moral values. What a crock.

-JF

PS: dcornutt: I'm glad that you see the importance of living up to the standards of our Constitution and the Geneva Conventions. We must not allow ourselves to lose our humanity - regarless of the inhuman acts of others, lest we become as they are.

Ok, so what you are saying is that we should behave like terrorists? I suppose by that rationale we should rape rapists back, we should molest molesters, we should murder criminals in the same way they murdered their victims? I guess a child killer should have his children killed?

Nice....very nice! Now not only am I amazed by the Bush administration, by also by the type of savage thinking that goes on in a forum like this, a place supposedly populated by artists and creatives, guys this is getting scary!

Don't forget that "An eye for an eye makes the whole World blind."
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    a place supposedly populated by artists and creatives
    Supposedly...

Quote Originally Posted by dcornutt

Is cutting off heads, taking civllian hostages and executing them, executing prisoners of war, etc..a violation of geneva convention?

Is using a mosque for military operations a violation of the geneva convention?

Is using a school or hospital or redcross/crescent marked vehilces for offsenive operations a violation of geneva convention?

Is the planting of IEDs bombs in civillian areas and police stations a violation of the geneva convention?

Is assasination of gov officials and diplomats a violation of the geneva convention?

Is lining up 40 POWs and shooting them in the back of the head a violation of the geneva convention?

Is dragging civillian contractors out, beating them to death, cutting off their limbs...burning them..then hanging them from a bridge and dancing around them for a video broadcast for news...a violation of the geneva convention?

Yes to all your questions and they are all rhetorical. Let me ask a couple more in all seriousness.

In order to move toward creating a more just, caring world, a world in which people feel safe and goodwill becomes the norm, what action does one take in response to atrocities?

If I hit you and you hit me back, what should be my next move in order to bring about peace?

What has been the result, throughout the history of mankind, of the philosophy of "an eye for an eye"?

Jim

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast