• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt/Kompakt/ GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt/Kompakt/ GigaStudio

I would like to get GPO to get my feet wet while learning Giga ....Since GPO comes with a Kontakt sample player ( I'm assumeing it's Kompakt ) I would like to get this program....I would also like to have GigaStudio 3 on the same computer.....Is this doable , or am I going to run into problems ?....I will have a sequencer program in the same PC ...This PC will have 3 hard drives...

HD 1 .....Applicaton programs

HD 2 .....Samples

HD 3 .....Audio

Re: Kontakt/Kompakt/ GigaStudio

I have GPO and Giga 3 on the same PC. I generally use GS3, since I can mix and match my samples, use GigaPulse and can load/play much more with GS3 than I can with GPO. Recently I've used GPO just for its harps and celete, since I don't have good GS libs for those instruments yet.

The key is to load GS3 and its instruments before starting GPO, then you can load what you need and run things at the same time.

To do that you will want a multiclient card. I use the Echo MIA.

But generally I try not to run GS3 and GPO at the same time - and I reboot when going from one to the other, just to clean up the RAM usage.

My view is that GPO is awesome for getting a full orchestra. It has everything that you need and then some. What it lacks is an upgrade path.

If you go striaght for GS3 Orchestra, then you get Vienna Giga Symphony and a bunch of other goodies. It's not quite as deep as GPO, but it's complete enough to make nice orchestral compositions and performances. Personally, I prefer the sound of VGS/GPulse to GPO, but that's a personal thing. YMMV.

The real benefit is that you can download gigs for free from GTown, Project SAM and others to add to your collection. You can add a new drumset from SI for about $20. I'm not sure what Wesgate Studios is charging these days, but I got the full set for about $150. Upgrades like these give many more articulations than offered by GPO.

Again, GPO is a great product. But GS3 Orchestra gives you a full orchestra ...and a platform. Rather than buy GPO and then GS3, I'd get GS3 straight away and put the GPO money towards other libs. GS3 just isn't that hard to learn for playback. Editing? That's another story. But unless you plan to develop libraries, you don't need to worry about that at all to make music.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I would like to get GPO to get my feet wet while learning Giga ....Since GPO comes with a Kontakt sample player ( I'm assumeing it's Kompakt ) I would like to get this program
    In the somewhat confusing world of Native Instruments based "ROMplers", there are their sampler products:
    - Kontakt
    - Intakt
    - Kompakt

and then their "player" versions of the above.

GPO comes with a "Kontakt Player" engine, which means:
    - it has more sampler features than the Kompakt player versions
    - one can use the "real" Kontakt with GPO if you want additional sampler features.

Thanks for the info guys....I bit the bullet and went with GS3 ....I like it all , but I figure that I'm going to have my hands full as it is with GS3 and Tracktion since I just got both the Gina 3G w/free Tracktion, and I also got GS3 in the mail today ... ....I'm doing a LOT of reading up, and starting to get a little overwhelmed by it all, but I will take it one step at a time, and hope that I don't scew up my new computer !!....Sincerely, Jim

I would have purchased GPO first. It's a much more complete orchestra than what's included with GS3. I've yet to hear a demo of the GS3 Orchestra and it's been out for about 3 months!!

I still can't get my Giga3 to work reliably. Waiting to see how many new bugs are uncovered in the 3.03 update. Hate to bash Giga, but I still feel like I wasted the money.

Same here Haydn. My computer is still highly unstable from my little romp in the forest with Giga 3. What a waste of 50 bucks.

I haven't loaded GS3 yet !!.....I'm just getting things set up with Gina 3G and Traction .... I wish there was an easy solution to this ...From checking out the pages from the Giga manual, it looks pretty daunting ...From what everybody is saying, GPO looks much easier to set up and use ....Hmmmmm
    What to do , what to do ??...
    I'm just gettng started , and I can't seem to get started !!!....It seems like the hurrier I go, the behinder I get....I'm going to wait a while to see how many problems there are with 3.03....Now I have a problem that I can't even update to 3.03 because I am not running this PC with a modem !!!....Does it ever end ??.....Jim

Red face Re: Kontakt/Kompakt/ GigaStudio

Quote Originally Posted by synthnut
    I would like to get GPO to get my feet wet while learning Giga ....Since GPO comes with a Kontakt sample player ( I'm assumeing it's Kompakt ) I would like to get this program....I would also like to have GigaStudio 3 on the same computer.....Is this doable , or am I going to run into problems ?....I will have a sequencer program in the same PC ...This PC will have 3 hard drives...

HD 1 .....Applicaton programs

HD 2 .....Samples

HD 3 .....Audio
    Hi, I pre-ordered G3, it arrived after a long wait - fought a whole evening trying to register it - Nemesys home page down at the weekend - bloody awful - got fed up, took my pc to my local music shop and asked them to have a go - they couldn't - not only couldn't register it properly (despite many frantic/pleading calls to the local distributer) after two weeks finally got a version up and going only to find that Gig 3 and Cubase SX2 couldn't get reWire to work - shop techy finally got so ticked off with the local distributer who kept making promisses but failed to deliver - very kindly gave me a copy of GOS - great, except I bought a full house VSL at great expense - and bought Giga. So far, lots of expense, lots of pain - little composing!!

Maybe I'll be smiling - when the whole shebang actully works - so much promise - so much pain - Has anyone else had such problems??

I've already had my first dilema with PC , setting up my Gina 3G card....I asked for info on a fix to a lot of different forums, and nobody had an answer....I then figured I would go to Microsoft ....I have a glitch in Window's, and have to pay Microsoft $45 to tell me what's wrong ?....THIS is what was taking me so long to take the PC Plunge.... Here it is to bite me in the ... I guess that's partly how Bill G. got rich huh ?...
    Anyway, between my own PC problems, and problems that I see you guys having with Giga 3, I ended up going to the East West forum, and getting the Gold edition for $398 and it comes with it's own version of Kompakt ...I figure it's a very simple program , and the sounds are really sweet ...When I'm more educated with PC, and I have another hard drive installed, I will install Giga 3
    I haven't heard much good about Tascam support either....That has me running kinda scared too !!... This is truely a rude welcome to the wonderfull world of PC !!....Such is life.... I guess it could be worse.....Jim

Go Back to forum