• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Purrrfect Drums/GS3 Replacement Suggestions???

Share/Bookmark

Purrrfect Drums/GS3 Replacement Suggestions???

Sorry if this topic is somewhat stale, but I've been using Purrrfect Drums on GS for a bunch of years now and have recently begun to wonder if I shouldn't be considering an alternate library.

I'm a drummer and I use a TrapKat along with a Yamaha DTXpress3 Brain (which is used only as a cymbal controller). There's nothing paticularly wrong with Purrrfect (although some might take issue with the snares) - it's just that there are libraries now being offered that seem more powerful. For example, DFH Superior has some very compelling features, unfortunately it does not seem to be designed for live performances.

I'm not married to GS3 for the playback engine, although I do very much appreciate that a streaming architecture allows for the highest quality samples in a live environment. At the same time, stability for live performances is a really big issue; there's nothing worse than a unanticipated (and unwarranted) BSOD during a live show- and GS3 is not without it's occassional crashes).

So, sample quality is big on the list, as is drum selection, enhanced tools sets (DFH Superior), stability and some level of fx processing. I just thought I'd throw this topic out there to get some up-to-date opinions.

Thanks for your feedback

Re: Purrrfect Drums/GS3 Replacement Suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by blafarm
    For example, DFH Superior has some very compelling features, unfortunately it does not seem to be designed for live performances.
    Oh yeah?? Dude, check THIS out:

http://www.toontrack.com/demos/chicken_low.mov

You know, I've watched that demo several times and been very impressed - but the reviews I've read, using the links on their site, seem to suggest that this software needs to shake and bake the track:

"...you'll need to render the audio before you can start processing it".
    Future Music Magazine- July -2004 issue

"...It’s not possible to hold every sample in RAM, so after you have
    finished programming your drum part, you have to activate a special
    Bounce function in order to render the final drum tracks into your song"
    Computer Music - July -2004 issue

I guess I concluded that they took that midi capture from that demo song, rendered it out, and then edited it back into the video. I'd be very happy to be corrected, though. Bottom line is that, as a live percussionist, I need a real-time solution.

Did I make an incorrect assumption?

Well, I'm not a Toontrack guy so I can't say definitively. But yes, DFHS can run real-time with all the bleeding enabled and everything else- you just need a hossin' pc to do it. 3 Gig of RAM possibly to get that whole Sonar kit happening. The rendering thing is just a work-around for the normal systems most of us have. That or you can play a kit real-time on a 1gig RAM pc but you give up the mic bleed and just have the raw drums sounds which is still pretty cool. And of course instead of having pads for left hand/right hand hits you set sounds to rotate round robin style.

But anyway, I fully belive that the audio for that track is what came out in real time. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge will chime in??

(You'll have to excuse me- I just got DFHS this week and I'm kind of in "preacher" mode about it- it's amazing IMO!!)

I'd be very interested in that answer.

Also, I have yet to find a single Windows XP application that can use more than 2GB of RAM by itself. I have 4GB in my Dual Xenon Workstation and the only app that comes close is Alias Maya, which seems to be able to use the extra 2GB for extremely large datasets.

Good to hear you're jazzed about the product, though.

Can anyone else chime in on this?

I have been in the same boat. I run 2 DrumKats I can recommend Scarbee Imperial Drums with Halion2. Runs like a dream. -Much- more realistic than Purrfect (though ya GOTTA love some of those Purrrfect cymbals!)

The only bad part is that SID (like most sample libs) was made for a keyboard player, so you'll have a bit of work tweaking your TrapKat to handle the velocities. I like how Jim put most of the energy in Purrrfect up @ the highest velocities---like a real drummer.

---JC

....I must admit, there's something enticing about being able to travel to a rehearsal or a performance with just a SFF computer running a dedicated app that, possibly, has a lower probability of failure. I love GS3 but it does make me nervous.

>Suntower

Thanks for that info. If you don't mind - how is Sid more realistic than Purrrfect?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower
    I have been in the same boat. I run 2 DrumKats I can recommend Scarbee Imperial Drums with Halion2. Runs like a dream. -Much- more realistic than Purrfect (though ya GOTTA love some of those Purrrfect cymbals!)

---JC
    I've been looking around, too. I love Purrrfect (I sometimes substitute the snare from another library, or use a lot of eq to get the harsh edge off), and from what I'm hearing, the Scarbee Imperial is the best sounding yet. I came close to placing and order for BFD, but after listening to the Scarbee, I think it has the edge in quality of sounds.

1. Many, many more velocity levels on snare.

2. I never liked the endless ring of Purrrfect toms

3. The SID hi-hat is -sick- in it's flexibility. With the HatKat(?) thingee it's -almost- like having a real pedal.

4. You get mics from several perspectives (overheads, under sn, over sn, right, left)

5. You get a couple of lower pitched snares which I dig a lot more than Purrrfect.

And a -lot- more.

SID is just -way- more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by blafarm
    >Suntower

Thanks for that info. If you don't mind - how is Sid more realistic than Purrrfect?

thanks

Go Back to forum