• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio3 questions

Share/Bookmark

Question Gigastudio3 questions

I'm interested to hear how well Gigastudio3 is working when installed on a single DAW and using rewire into the sequencer (Cubase SX3 in my case).

Currently I use Halion2 because I like the the integration, but I'm not entirely happy with it.

How is Gigastudio3 working alongside a sequencer on the same machine? Stable? Glitches, clicks or pops? What kind of performance could I expect (number of voices etc) when running alongside Cubase compared to Halion or Kontakt?

Or is it still the case that Gigastudio really likes to be on its own machine?

Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Gigastudio3 questions

Works fine on my P4 3ghz with Sonar in rewire 1 gig ram. I've loaded 16 or so instruments, including the big piano plus additional instruments using Garritans Personal Orchestra Kontakt plug in. At that point I had to increase my latency settings to 6 msecs but it was still very playable.

Re: Gigastudio3 questions

Thanks, Cody. Anyone else? Anyone able to say how it performs, on the same machine as the sequencer, compared to Halion or Kontakt? Cheers

Can't say about halion or kontakt, but I use Cubase SX with GS Orchestra in rewire mode with a PIV 2.53GHz without any problem ... except I can't push too far with gigapulse enabled ...

JGS

Thanks. What kind of performance do you get? How many voices of polyphony? How many instruments loaded?

And when you load up Gigastudio as much as you can does Cubase get sluggish?

Also, if you freeze a rewire channel in Cubase, does that freeze ALL of Gigastudio or can you freeze an instrument or two in Gigastudio to free up some resources and then add some more instruments in Gigastudio?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jgsirac
    Can't say about halion or kontakt, but I use Cubase SX with GS Orchestra in rewire mode with a PIV 2.53GHz without any problem ... except I can't push too far with gigapulse enabled ...

JGS

JGS

Hi,

when you enable the Rewire channels only ( Gs3 not started ) do your CPU
    load goes up?

I dont have this issue with Reason, but when I only enable Gs3 Rewire in SX2, my CPU meter shows 10% CPU consumption.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by Przemek K.
    when you enable the Rewire channels only ( Gs3 not started ) do your CPU load goes up?
    Nope ! Does nothing at all ...

Nope ! Does nothing at all ...
    Thanks for the quick reply
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZeus
    Thanks. What kind of performance do you get? How many voices of polyphony? How many instruments loaded?

And when you load up Gigastudio as much as you can does Cubase get sluggish?

Also, if you freeze a rewire channel in Cubase, does that freeze ALL of Gigastudio or can you freeze an instrument or two in Gigastudio to free up some resources and then add some more instruments in Gigastudio?

thanks.
    I only have 1 Gb in my system, so if I load too many instruments in GS the system starts eating paging file memory and it certainly gets sluggish. To get things set properly you must have an equal balance between the 2 programs not overloading physical memory. I should buy another 1 Gb to be at ease with these two, but I'm more concerned in buying a new PIV 3.6+ GHz ...

As for freezing rewire channel, correct me if I'm wrong but I guess it's only available in SX3 and to be honnest I haven't installed it yet. I'm still using SX2.2 until the 3.01 upgrade is available (shouldn't be long now).

JGS

Okay, thanks.

I only have 1 Gb in my system, so if I load too many instruments in GS the system starts eating paging file memory and it certainly gets sluggish. To get things set properly you must have an equal balance between the 2 programs not overloading physical memory. I should buy another 1 Gb to be at ease with these two, but I'm more concerned in buying a new PIV 3.6+ GHz ...

As for freezing rewire channel, correct me if I'm wrong but I guess it's only available in SX3 and to be honnest I haven't installed it yet. I'm still using SX2.2 until the 3.01 upgrade is available (shouldn't be long now).

JGS

Go Back to forum