• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which way you going ....

Share/Bookmark

Question Which way you going ....

you thought I was going to finish that question with "Billy" right? Well, you're wrong and Ima gonna aska youa disa questione!
    Where do you see yourself in the next year? What are working to be or do in a year or so? What is your overall goal with your talent and skills in music? Have you reached your potential or still striving?

Do you really think Hotdogs are real food? If ice cream were music would we all have to go on a diet? Anyone write commercial jingles? What is so personal with this orchestra and who is the real Gary Garritan. (I heard he has doubles running around at all the NAM shows.
    Finally, don't you feel kinda numb reading all of these dang fool questions?
    No really, wait ... don't go ... wait, noweasynowwhatchitnowwait! Don'tgotoofartoofasttoosoon? Play me a song ... here it comes again.
    Styxx

Re: Which way you going ....

When I look at Styxx's picture and then I look at the posts, something doesn't add up? Anyone have the same feeling?!!! HAH!

Anyway...to answer some (definitely not all) of your questions:

Have you reached your potential or still striving?
    Oh my heavens is that a resounding NO! I'm still learning just the basics in how to use GPO, but I'm finding the hill not so hard to climb now and it's really getting fun!! The key for me will be to use it delicately (rather than, say, like a sledgehammer) so that it really sweetens things up such that listeners really think they are hearing an orchestra and not some guy pounding keys TRYING to sound like an orchestra.

In the near term, I've got at least 2 or 3 albums in the works and all of them will use GPO to some degree (some songs more than others, etc.). Beyond that I haven't a clue. I do know that some day I want to create both Christian "Trax" of popular hymns so that folks that don't have arranging skills can use the trax to sing over in church during offering or special music or what have you. Beyond that I wouldn't mind creating and selling trax of classic rock/country tunes (Spooky, Your Mama Don't Dance, Silver Wings, songs of that nature) simply because there is a huge lack of inexpensive trax out there for gigging musicians to use (such a lack that I spent probably 80 hours creating my own trax for 3 sets of music for a guitarist friend and I to use at some local gigs). I think it would be cool to have trax like that selling on iTunes for $1.00 apiece (much less than the $4-$5 trax I found when I went looking). Since CD Baby can get music out to iTunes (and I'm sure other outfits can do the same thing) it seems like it's not that tough to "publish" your stuff so to speak. Both the Christian trax and the classic rock/country trax would also make use of GPO, the Christian trax probably more so. I just want to blow some musicians mind out there with what is possible in MIDI trax development. In my search for various MIDI songs for my guitarist buddy and I to use, I found a LOT of garbage, but I also found a few gems that blew my mind (like, say, "Roof Garden" performed by Al Jarreau...now who would have thought someone would create an excellent MIDI file of that particular song...and it sounds VERY close to the original).

Oh, my overall goal is to produce music that not only sells (that's really my secondary goal), but more so, soothes people's nerves in this crazy wacked out world we live in. I really believe there's a huge niche in "soothing music" out there, and I want to be a part of it.

Anyway...I've blathered enough. I'm starting to sound like the starter of this thread! Hah again!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Talking Re: Which way you going ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    When I look at Styxx's picture and then I look at the posts, something doesn't add up? Anyone have the same feeling?!!! HAH!
    Yeah, me.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Where do you see yourself in the next year? What are working to be or do in a year or so? What is your overall goal with your talent and skills in music? Have you reached your potential or still striving?
    Next year? I see myself still surfing around here listening to people's songs wishing that I could do that. Hopefully I'll be able to writing something decent by that time and I won't have the troubles finishing (and often times starting) song ideas that I ahve in my head.

Do you really think Hotdogs are real food?
    Hotdogs are definitely real food. My roommate and I practically live off of them. (That and ramen, chinese, mac and cheese and other foods that take little effort to make and are cheap)

If ice cream were music would we all have to go on a diet?
    No.

Anyone write commercial jingles?
    If only I had the talent too...

What is so personal with this orchestra
    You haven't figured it out yet?

who is the real Gary Garritan. (I heard he has doubles running around at all the NAM shows.
    Will the real Gary Garritan please stand up?

Finally, don't you feel kinda numb reading all of these dang fool questions?
    I'll only feel dumb if you feel dumb writing them. The real questiong is, should I feel dumb for answering "all of these dang fool questions"?
    Tim

Talking Re: Which way you going ....

Tim, I really meant the word "numb" cause I haven't met one dumb person on this forum yet! Then again, how does one meet himself?
    God, do you have any idea what goes into hotdogs?
    Styxx

In the coming year I have a few musical goals:

1) Release my solo contemporary Christian praise & worship CD before Easter. Uses a lot of GPO in combination with other synths/guitar/bass/drums/keys. Lots of vocals too.
    2) Continue writing for / travelling with CrossWalk, record the basic tracks for the next CrossWalk CD (#4).
    3) Record a variety of demo projects for local artists (including an "Emo/Screamo" group early in the year...yikes!).
    4) Begin a collaborative work on a heavily GPO-dependent choir musical project, ala David Clydesdale/Don Moen.
    5) Become more proficient on drums, my most recent instrumental pursuit.

Hot dogs in natural casings, like you get at the deli, are awesome on the grill...

And I believe Gary Garritan himself puts the "personal" in this orchestra! Bravo!

Jim

God, do you have any idea what goes into hotdogs?
    Sure do! And they're still delicious....
    Tim

Hah!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum