• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO and Service Pack 2

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Service Pack 2

What's the current recommendation? To install SP 2 or not??? (Win XP home edition)

Thanks,

Alan

Re: GPO and Service Pack 2

Good question.
    Styxx

I haven't had any problems with SP2 (XP Professional) and Sonar 3/GPO

Quote Originally Posted by squoze
    I haven't had any problems with SP2 (XP Professional) and Sonar 3/GPO
    Did you have to download or set something or anything unusual first before you installed SP2?
    Styxx

I would get SP2 but it wouldn't let me when I was reinstalling everything. 2 weeks later windows update finally tells me to download and install SP2, but I dont' feel like it anymore. I have a router with a good firewall in it, so most of the new security features aren't really too useful to me. One of these days I'll get unlazy and install it (it takes forever though....)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    I would get SP2 but it wouldn't let me when I was reinstalling everything. 2 weeks later windows update finally tells me to download and install SP2, but I dont' feel like it anymore. I have a router with a good firewall in it, so most of the new security features aren't really too useful to me. One of these days I'll get unlazy and install it (it takes forever though....)
    I've been reluctant to try it myself because of all the controversy I've read. Then again, maybe that's why it's been acting weird again lately. Shutting down when opening programs, and taking forever to shut down.
    It never ends does it?
    Styxx

I have noticed odd shutdown errors with SP2. But it does remove an incredibly long wait with the GPO Studio loading screen.

Quote Originally Posted by belkina
    What's the current recommendation? To install SP 2 or not??? (Win XP home edition)

Thanks,

Alan
    I was one of the first to install after the public release. No trouble yet. Some computers, (HP, for one) require some machine specfic updates from the mfr, and all drivers should be updated before install.

I receive numerous security bulletins from Carnegie-Mellon Institute, and they reguarly recommend SP2 as a security measure, and frequently state that the current vulnerabilty does not affect XP with SP2.

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 11-12-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: stupid mistake

I have SP2 on my online PC. It seems to be working well.

My music computers are working well on SP1. Since SP1 is working like a charm for music, I'm very reluctant to update. I don't know if there's even a need for me to at this point. You know what they say, no reason to mess with something that's already working. So I'm sticking with SP1 in the medium to long term until I hear any kind of real world benefits to updating to SP 2.

Your music PC I take are not connected to the internet anyway right? Good planing. I haven't and reluctant to download SP-2. One tech told me to creat a system restore point before the download in case of any severe problems. I wonder how that would work if SP-2 updates even that end of it? Eh, too many questions for me right now.
    I think I'll go have a gotamhoddog and some Hoddikin beer!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum