• Register
  • Help

Topic: Someone briefly explain the terminology?

Share/Bookmark

Someone briefly explain the terminology?

I\'m new to samplers & GigaStudio.. I\'ve been using a Roland XP-80 for a few years now. There\'s some terminology I\'d like to become acquainted with, since I will probably be ordering my copy of GigaStudio96 tomorrow (woohoo!)

Key switching: as far as I know, this is using some of the unused keys in the lower register to switch the current instrument\'s style/articulations. Right?

The others I don\'t really know what they\'re all about: release triggers, cross-fading. I think there\'s one more major concept but it escapes me currently. I understand cross-fading at a simple level (fading out one sound as another fades in), but what role does it play w/ sampling technology?

Thanks for any info [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Re: Someone briefly explain the terminology?

Have you considered getting David G\'s GigaStudio Mastery Tutorial ?

Never heard of it.. where can I get it? Any books or online tutorials would be great. Thanks!

Concerning the terminology and tutorials.......Nemesys/Tascam should really reconsider their lack of documentation and the rediculous notion of having the nerve to charge people for instructions on how to use their product.......that would be about like a car manufacturer selling cars without a manual.......and then charging you to tell what all the buttons on the dash do.......I think it is almost a criminal act to charge for such a thing.....

Originally posted by Rube:
    I think it is almost a criminal act to charge for such a thing.....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tascam should have provided one. But Dave\'s tutorial is a completely separate deal.

And believe me, it is quite brilliant. It not only explains Gigastudio and its various functions, it explains a lot of \'terms\' that many people here take for granted and the rest of us perhaps feel too stupid to ask about.

I haven\'t completed the whole thing yet, but it is very enjoyable. Dave and Kevin have an incredible knack (a lot of hard work to achieve, I expect) of delivering exactly what you want when you need it. They kind of create questions in your head as they go along, and then they answer them when you have the context in which to place the answers; a beautiful design. I doubt you\'d get this kind of quality with any \'integrated\' software tutorial, so the money is really well spent.

You can spend hundreds of ten-minute stretches getting angry at Gigastudio, or you can spend sixty dollars and have fun. It really is worth it.

Oh yeah.. I remember the others now: layers, and velocity switching.

Key switching:
    It\'s just another way of patch changing. You assign a range of unused keys to a set of patches which have been bundled into a single instrument. The keys can be anywhere on the keyboard, but should be adjacent to each other. As you said, keyswitching is most often used to switch between different articulations of the same instrument, but doesn\'t have to be. Acoustic Essentials uses keyswitching to change chord types on a strummed guitar.

Release triggers:
    Gigastudio can trigger a patch when it gets a note off (note release). Thomas Scarbee uses this function on his basses. He didn\'t like the unrealistic sound when you let go of a note while playing. It simply stopped the bass sample, whereas in real life there\'s a kind of muting heard as a bass note is stopped by the palm. He recorded the sounds of each note being stopped and built a patch with them. Gigastudio allowed him to assign this patch to the \'release trigger\' dimension, ie when he lets go of a bass note, its accompanying mute is played. You have mix control over the release triggers as well as a function which allows you to make them play back softer depending on how long the sustained note was held.

Cross-fading
    Gigastudio allows you to assign a midi controller (eg Mod Wheel or Foot Pedal) to fade between up to four layers of instruments. This can be useful when you want to sustain a note, but control the dynamics within that sustain. For example, you have ensemble strings playing tremolonde in 4 patches, from p to fff. You can organise the four patches so that there\'s a very gradual transition from the first to the second layers as you push the mod wheel forward, but a faster transition to the f layer with a bit more wheel movement (with the previous layers fading under, then have the f layer remain as you push the wheel to its maximum and bring in the ff layer - ending up with both f and ff layers playing at a balance you decide within the crossfade editor. Some people have pointed out that this function is less useful with solo instruments because the crossover area can\'t be phase coherent, so at best you get a slight chorusing at the overlap points, at worst it sounds like two instruments are playing instead of the solo voice. Still, with ensemble instruments it\'s one the few ways you can have time control over crescendos and decrescendos which have true timbral and volume dynamics.

Layers:
    What you\'d expect. Load two instruments, decide on a midi controller to balance them, and save the result. If you want to layer four, eight etc., instruments you can. Just remember that each stereo sample you can hear equals 2 voices of polyphony [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Velocity Switching:
    As with all other samplers, Giga allows you to attempt to recreate the original dynamics of the recorded instrument by assigning different samples to play back in response to diferent velocities received. Although most new libraries offer velocity switching, the most common place you\'ll see this is in drum libraries. Instead of recording a single hard snare hit and using subtractive synthesis to make that single sample quieter and duller on lightly played notes, and louder and brighter on heavily played notes, Gigastudio allows you to record many different articulations, from soft to loud. You can then mape these to different velocity areas within the overall midi velocity range of 0-127. You might have a very soft snare being played when you hit D2 at a velocity between 1 and 32, the same snare hit slightly harder playing back between 32 and 64, a much harder hit snare between 64 and 97, a very hard hit between 97 and 126, and a sample of James Brown going Ow! only on 127 - just to amuse your friends [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chadwick:

Great, THANKS! That was very helpful

-S

Sam, I don\'t know whether anyone\'s mentioned this, but you should download Kevin Phelan\'s excellent (and free!) new manual for the Gigastudio manual. Even if you don\'t do much editing, it has heaps of info about terminology and design approach:

http://www.nemesysmusic.com/support/tutorials/giga-edit-help.chm

Go Back to forum