• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Connecting Two PC's for audio work...

Share/Bookmark

Connecting Two PC's for audio work...

EIther one for Giga, one for Nuendo...

or perhaps one running Nuendo and VST Plug-ins, the other running giga studio of V_stack.

Am confused on how this is done, the latency and so on.

Where can I read more about this?

Bottom line using two pc's and their CPU power for audio work.

Thanks

Question Re: Connecting Two PC's for audio work...

Quote Originally Posted by wells
    EIther one for Giga, one for Nuendo...

or perhaps one running Nuendo and VST Plug-ins, the other running giga studio of V_stack.

Am confused on how this is done, the latency and so on.

Where can I read more about this?

Bottom line using two pc's and their CPU power for audio work.

Thanks
    I'm very interested in this too.

Re: Connecting Two PC's for audio work...

Hello You Two:

I do exact this with 4 computers...so ask me any questions you like and I will try to steer you throught this.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by scharles
    Hello You Two:

I do exact this with 4 computers...so ask me any questions you like and I will try to steer you throught this.

Charlie

Ok, two PC's, with each having Gigastudio, Nuendo, or Cubase, and or V-stack.

Both PC's have ethernet, one connected to internet via router, the other stand-alone PC DAW. I'm assuming you can somehow connect the stand-alone to the router and somehow use the two together?

What are the minimum sounc cards they each should have (i.e. connections), I am also pondering the idea of a mLAN 01X which has firewire. The goal would then be to use the 01x to control Nuendo, and VST Plug-ins and when the CPU usage gets high, or I decide to run Giga 3, Acid 5, etc, I farm out to PC #2.

Now, the third goal in theory is to get a MAC LAPTOP and use LOGIC or DP as the sequencer and control sequencer with 01x, and Farm out VST's, ACID, and Giga on PC 2 and 1.

The first pressing issue is connecting two PC's, how, and what hardware (ethernet) and soundscards are required....if a 01x is placed in the mix, will that eliminate a soundcard needed for one of the PC's as it has audio features available via firewire.

The 2nd issue is running a mac laptop, but not as pressing right now.

thanks

Pssst..

FX Teleport. No extra sound cards or midi interfaces. No Vstack.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Thanks, but using FX product, if PC #2 is connected via LAN router, can you access PC #2 on the monitor of PC #1 or does each pc need it's own monitor...

i.e. will it show up on pc #1.

thanks

Hi, you can either use a KVM switch or Remote Desktop software.

Also, you'll want a network switch not a router.

Here's a cut and paste I did for someone else, it applies to two computers in this case;

"the cheapest way out is to run FX Teleport. That way you can link two or more computers without having to spring for expensive sound cards or even a midi interface.

The simplest way to do it is;

- buy two network cards (assuming your mobo's dont have onboard LAN) Preferably Gigabit cards. (much greater bandwidth)

- buy one network crossover cable. (If you are not running through a switch it has to be crossover) Make it CAT6 - not Cat5, not even Cat5e

Install the cards into both computers, if you are running XP you can run a networking wizard to set it up.

Jump over to FX-Max.com and buy or d/load a demo of FX Teleport.

1. Install the host version of FXT on your Host machine (the one running the sequencer)
    2. Install the slave version of the software on the slave machine.
    3. You need to install the libs you need on your slave. For example, EWQLSO Gold would need to be installed on both computers.

When you run projects in the future you should then have an option to open either EWQLSO or EWQLSO(LAN) (being the slave version)

Thats probably the easiest way I can think of to quickly get a slave machine going.
    "
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hi, you can either use a KVM switch or Remote Desktop software.

Also, you'll want a network switch not a router.

.[/i]
    "
    So there is know way to see Computer #2 on the desktop of computer #1 or is this just the limitations of fx teleport.

What about latency?

Also, here's the thing...I have a dual monitor AGP card and the idea would be to have the sequencer and plug ins stretched over both monitors, while accessing the plug-ins on PC 2 and seeing them on monitor 2.

Sounds confusing, but am sure it can be done.

hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by wells
    Also, here's the thing...I have a dual monitor AGP card and the idea would be to have the sequencer and plug ins stretched over both monitors, while accessing the plug-ins on PC 2 and seeing them on monitor 2.
    Thats exactly what I do. I run three computers over a Gigabit switch. I have a dual head AGP card on my host machine. When working in Cubase it is spread over two screens.

I access my two slaves by Windows remote desktop and have that view, full screen on my right-hand monitor.

I have never noticed any latency. To be on the safe side though, I only make changes on the slaves when the song is not playing and usually minimise the remote desktop view when the song is playing.

One drawback to RD software though, if the computer fails to start properly, you wont know why, I sometimes have to go and plug a monitor into a slave to see why it hasnt booted up and I cant log into it. This is one advantage to having a dedicated KVM switch.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Fair warning: I'm a geek. This post is a bit long.

I use 2 to 3 PCs at home, mostly for software development, part-time for music. When I build my second dedicated DAW, I'm planning to look into FXTeleport. Til then, I'm using MIDI to my laptop (running softsynths) and using S/PDIF (MBox output) to feed digital audio into my main DAW. (Kind of primitive, but it works).

I use two LCDs (19" and 15"). They each have digital and analog inputs; the 19" (A Viewsonic VI191s) has two analog inputs. I tried using just a KVM box, but it was way too limiting. I ended up with a setup that requires more button presses (2-4, depending), but lets me do anything I want.

For keyboard and mouse switching, I use a Miniview "Extreme" KVM, 4 port version (IOGear, I think). It handles USB and PS/2 peripherals, and supports up to four PCs. It gave me a lot of trouble at first with USB wheel mice (Microsoft Intellimouse, Logitech MX500). This was because the KVM does "mouse emulation", which has various supposed benefits - it may be quicker to switch a mouse between PCs. However, the KVM mouse emulation doesn't support anything but vanilla mouse features -- no wheel action, no extra page forward/back buttons. Very frustrating. But, luckily this KVM also has a pair of rear-panel "aux" USB ports, in addition to the dedicated front-panel keyboard and mouse USB ports. The rear-panel ports are not messed with by the KVM mouse emulation software. So, both mice work just dandy when plugged into the back. When I switch from one PC to another one, there is a delay (maybe up to 10 seconds) while the new PC recognizes a mouse has been attached -- but everything works.

Sometimes that delay is annoying. In those cases, I plug another mouse into the 2nd PC, which gives me instant mouse control over two PCs at once, at the cost of a bit more deskspace, and occasional confusion (one reason I have both MS and Logitech mice is because they look different ...)

The KVM also allows the rear-panel USB ports to be switched separately from the front panel ports. So, I could leave the mouse connected to DAW A while switching the keyboard only to DAW B. I haven't needed this yet, but the feature is there...

Now, on to video. Letting the KVM control what was on my primary monitor was too limiting (plus, it kept me from using the higher-quality digital connections -- very important for motion video on LCDs).

My main DAW has a Matrox 650, with dual digital/analog outs. One output (digital) feeds the 19" Viewsonic digital input. The second output (analog) goes to a sweet little box, the StarTech ST224MX 4 Port Dual Input Matrix VGA Video Splitter. Costs about $90 from a discount etailer. There's a two output version for around $60, but I wanted to connect an old/aging 21" Viewsonic CRT, for video and whatnot. This box has two VGA input ports, and four buttons on the front, with two LEDs per button. It lets me connect either of the two input ports to any of the four VGA outputs, in any combination (kind of like a MIDI switch box). My laptop connects to the 2nd input port on the StarTech.

So how does this all work? DAW video A (digital) goes to the dig input on my 19" LCD, for best image quality. DAW video B (digital) goes to the 15" LCD.

My laptop is connected to StarTech input #1. Through the StarTech, I can route it to the analog inputs of the 15" LCD or 19" LCD (or both at once, if I needed to). StarTech output #1 feeds analog video input #1 on the 19" LCD, so I have to select analog 1 input on the LCD when I do this. If I want to route video to the 21" CRT from the laptop, no problem. To run video from the DAW to the 21" CRT, I'd have to swap cables, and connect the DAW video B feed to the StarTech box (analog mode). Since the 15" LCD image quality is better with DVI input, I don't do this normally.

If I needed to, I could pop open the lid on my laptop, use its LCD as "laptop monitor 1", and run either the 19" or 15" LCD as "laptop monitor 2". I haven't been nuts enough to do that yet, but you never know....

When I add my 2nd DAW tower, I will use my old Matrox 450 with 2 analog outputs. Output 1 will feed the 2nd analog input on my 19" LCD directly. Output 2 will feed the 2nd input on the StarTech box directly. This doesn't give me total flexibility, but it's close. And cheap.

To sum up: video is routed around using a combination of front-panel LCD input selectors and the StarTech box. Keyboard/mouse are routed around using a KVM (with the 'V' unused). When I need it, I just plug another mouse into the 2nd PC, so I have simultaneous mouse control over two screens.

Like I said, I'm a geek (well, a music geek). But this setup works pretty well for me.

One comment on FXTeleport. I haven't needed it yet, but my understanding is that the GUIs for plugins running on a 'teleported' PC appear on the display attached on the "teleported" PC, and not on the main DAW screen. Likewise, to control plugin settings, you must use a mouse and/or keyboard attached to the "teleported" PC. FXTeleport does allow the plugin settings to be stored as part of your main sequencer project files (just as if they were plugins running on the main DAW), but if you need to tweak things, you need to use screen/keyboard/mouse connected to the "teleported" PC.

Hope this is useful to someone ...

- Jim

Go Back to forum