• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Silent Night

Silent Night

Hey guys,

Just finished it. GPO. Im in a bad mood, thought this would cheer me up. 'Nuff Said.

Re: Silent Night

Ok, im a little better now..

This is my 1st xmas sonng attempt, its rather minimalist..everything is GPO. Some may recognize thet oboe as Oboe #2 solo, very beautiful and haunting. Somone else said this givs a feel of cold in the air, and a coming xmas and snow, considering tonight, where i live, is our 1st snow of the year, so its rather apt.

EDIT: Just put in some Bells in the BG...think its a good idea?

Good HEAVENS! That was excellent! You and me need to talk brother! I have three Christmas albums to my name and they are orchestrated similar to your piece (well, except the lite jazz album maybe!).

Zowie you did that song justice. So so so so many times people just flat out MANGLE poor Silent Night and you didn't. You made it the gorgeous lullaby it really is.

Outstanding job sir and you have my deepest respect!! Still can't get over hearing something that sounds really near and dear to my heart.

COOL! Keep up the great work! You should probably orchestrate and entire album like that and then sell it at Christmas bazaars in your area. Just make what I call a "slim case" version of the album (CD, color label, slim case, no jacket or anything) and sell them for $10 per CD. I do this every year and make a killing (okay, maybe not a killing, but about $4K to $5K isn't bad for the end of the year!!). People just MELT for good quality Christmas music at these various Christmas bazaars. Plus the other vendors love you because you usually bring along a portable CD and some decent computer speakers (with a sub-woofer) and provide a nice atmosphere for the shoppers. You (and all the rest of you GPO'ers out there!) need to do this!!

Okay...I've blathered enough. Since I feel a kindred spirit here...check out my solo piano version of Silent Night at:

Wow...still can't get over how you arranged that. Bonzo man...simply BONZO (I think that's means "good" in Aussie or something)!!
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

Wow, you really like it?

Talk about makeing me feel better...

I actually plan on making a whole CD, about 20 tracks if i can manage it by december 1st. I really will try to seel it locally if i can, hehe, great idea,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Wonder if Falcon1 and Styxx would consider adding this to their Holiday CD?

Thumbs up Re: Silent Night

Very nice FireGS. However, I would try to make some coda to end the arrangement in the nice manner it started in. Maybe just let the piano repeat the last phrase with much rit.

The flute in the 2nd verse was very good and the bells fit perfectly.

However, it can be "risky" doing such minimalistic accompaniment because the likelyhood of finding another arrangement with same or similar accompaniment are higher than if you complicate it a little. Specially when you're dealing with hymn or song like Silent Night which have been arranged thousand times or more.

Again, nicely done!

my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

You can always ask them?!! I don't remember if someone else had already claimed Silent Night, but man, your version is just plain excellent.

Some quick advice: Shoot for 10 songs (or two separate albums of 10 songs apiece) so that you don't overstretch yourself. I have had absolutely ZERO complaints that my albums only have 10 songs each. After all, you don't want to over stay your welcome on someone's stereo! Besides, maybe take the first 10 and make them minimalist-ish, and then take the second 10 and make them more upbeat or more orchestrated or something. That way you have two DIFFERENT Christmas albums for people to choose from.

My three Christmas albums were all produced pre-GPO (that's how I divide my music these days!) and the first one was solo piano, the second one was orchestral/classical, and the third one was secular tunes (White Christmas, Chestnuts, etc.) done in a lite jazz format. Three different styles for different folks. Usually though, folks end up buying all three because I have a deal that if you buy three (for $30) you get a fourth CD free.

Oh, and you should be able to produce your CD's right around $1.00 per unit. I have mine shipped to my door pre-labeled with the slimcases in a separate box for $1.20 per CD. I built myself a 7-bay CD duplicator (with a hard drive where all my albums live on separate partitions) and I simply duplicate them myself, slap them in their slimcases, put a guarantee sticker on the back of the slimcase (since I can bloody well afford to replace someone's broken, scratched or even lost CD for $1.20 each!!) and get them to the Christmas Bazaars in my area. LOVE IT!!!

I have three other non-Christmas albums that sell reasonably well, but it's the Christmas ones that are simply the bomb this time of year.

Funny we should be mentioning this...I gotta go run and get my wife...she's been at today's bazaar almost all day and it's shutting down.

One of these days I hope to publish all this information (along with pictures of what a "slimcase" version of a CD looks like) on my website for other musicians to consider. It's certainly not the ONLY way, nor maybe even the best way to get your music out there, but for me, at this time of my life, it works great!!

Anyway...great work...see if you can't get those jablonski's to add this song to the Christmas CD.
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

UK- teeming with life....
    That's excellent Fire. You resisted the temptation of succumbing to weird chords, just to be different. Even our national forces' orchestras and national orchestras mess up our National Anthem by using jazzy/wierd chords rather than leaving the pieces with their original intention.....thinking that their being clever!! Really, these places are not the place!!! Anyone can try silly chords....it's not clever anymore......

Well resisted!!

I will agree though, you need to end it differently. Maybe have the piano play one more refrain of "Slee - eep in hea....venly sleep" and take it out that way. Right now it just kind of ends and it might just polish it off if you have the piano do that. That's the only thing I can think of though...you nailed it man!!
    Kevin B. Selby

Okay, i took your advice, heres the new song with somewhat of an ending...feedback?

The ending piano melody was almost too quiet, but I could hear it and it seemed to end it appropriately. However, I think what most people are thinking of (at least I'm thinking this!) is that at 2:12, you drop all other sounds and play ONE more "Slee - eep...." refrain and end it on the piano dying away. But I'm being picky. If you just raised the volume of the refrain you have at the end it will still be awesome!

The only teensy beensy nit-picky thing I could POSSIBLY point out now is that in my opinion (and not everyone agrees with this), you MIGHT turn down the reverb a tad on the piano. It kind of sounds like it's really far away and if you pulled a little of the reverb out it would still have SOME reverb but it wouldn't sound so back in the distance. Obviously it needs reverb, but I just felt it had a bit too much.

Other than that (and even WITH that) it still rocks!
    Kevin B. Selby

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast