• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Is LA really this bad?

Share/Bookmark

Is LA really this bad?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I saw someone posting somewhere about moving from LA to Chicago and how he hated LA. Well.. I am considering moving FROM Chicago to LA next year.. so I wrote him to see why he felt the way he did. This was his email response. Is LA really this bad?? If so, I might have some rethinking to do. I'm a very honest and straightforward person, and I don't like dealing with shady characters.

===============

(first let me preface this by saying any reference to 'you' is 'you' in
    the general sense. not you personally, sam.)

well, of course it's the only real place to go if you want to get into
    the entertainment industry. that was never a goal of mine, i just sort
    of ended up here. ironically, i also ended up in the entertainment
    industry, doing pyrotechnics and special effects for movies and tv.

the people here, all of them, are bull~~~~. especially those wonderful
    folks in the entertainment industry. fake backstabbing moneygrubbing
    selfish egotistical pricks. if someone is being nice to you, either you
    have something they want, or they are running clever interference so you
    don't get something they want. out of the 100s i've met over the couple
    years i've been here, i can count on my fingers the number of good solid
    people.

if you have no problems with emptyheaded selfabsorbed fools and a giant
    city with an almost total lack of any kind of intelligence (it's
    mostly the southland's fault the governator got elected), you'll be
    fine. if you're the kind of prick that likes to scam dumb women and feel
    up rock hard fake boobs a lot (and also wake up early and clean the LA
    girlpuke [mostly liquid with maybe some cracker debris in it] off the
    passenger door of your very used 4th-hand bmw), hell, you might even
    have fun. i've witnessed this kind of ~~~~~~~ work his magic many times.
    it's like they say, watching a car wreck: fascinating and horrifying all
    at once.

i kinda feel like i'm pissing on your parade here, sorry, and i know i
    sound like a bitter, bitter ~~~. i don't recommend this city to anyone.
    it changes you for the worse. even my mom commented last time i visited
    that i've become much more impatient, confrontational, and assholic.
    normally i'm an openminded easygoing guy (trust me, i am), and i gave
    this place a number of chances over a good amount of time. it's driven
    me to the brink.

maybe try new york? a bit more expensive, but smaller career pool, both
    theater and movies as well as tv, better people, plenty of culture,
    intelligence, and class
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Is LA really this bad?

All true...go to NY instead where people are known throught the World for their niceness and patience!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Lots goes on in Austin,Texas too! But Austin is a blue dot in a sea of red and the traffic sucks!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Yeah, L.A. sucks. Especially if you're talented, you don't want to come here. It's just horrible here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Yeah, L.A. sucks. Especially if you're talented, you don't want to come here. It's just horrible here.
    ROFL!!!!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

Yes, LA is THAT bad. I lived there for four years, have worked there on and off as a screenwriter for almost fifteen and can tell you that I've met only a handful -- if that much -- of people I want to spend more than a couple of minutes with.

LA is all about the Deal. I have met movie and music fanatics all around the country, people obsessed with enjoying and creating both, but none of them ever lived in LA. LA is about people looking for a buck, a babe, and a lot of toys.

Years ago, film execs used to love movies and care about what they produced. Nowadays all they care about is keeping their jobs, which means playing it safe by copying whatever hit came out this morning.

I actually had a lunch meeting with a hip young studio exec recently who, among other things, couldn't name more than three movies made by Alfred Hitchcock. My agent (who's been around awhile) and I stared at him in disbelief. Hitchcock is one of the GREAT filmmakers of all time and this guy, who passes judgment on writers and directors every day, had zero knowledge about the history of film.

When you get into the fringes of the entertainment world it's even worse. Hustlers, con artists, a s s h * l e s abound. Add to that smog that could choke a rhino, traffic that will drive you insane, pretentious women with plastic bodies and you've just about summed LA up.

My advice about moving there: don't.

Then again, I remember running into a friend and asking why the hell he's living in LA and he said, "LA? I love LA."

Take a good long visit before you move.

Well, how am I supposed to further my career in writing soundtracks for games if I'm not in LA? Wouldn't it benefit me by being there physically? Or is that a misconception?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Well Sam...in my opinion (coming form a Republican ) I have learned a few things about the biz out here (and I was born and raised here...lived in AZ for undergrad and 4 years after that...then moved back to LA in 2001).

1. LA is cut throat and you have to watch your back at all times. Most people make decisions and throw accolades around only because it benefits them in some way. As long as you know that...and know how to play their game a little bit...that can go a long way to surviving the business out here.

2. Almost no one, in my opinion, will really break into the business of "today". You have to position yourself to break into the business of "tomorrow". Today's filmmakers already have people they work with and TRUST...so it takes time to build good relationships with the filmmakers of tomorrows films. Given the fairly accurate description of LA that you got...most people give up before they even have a real chance. Persistence pays off. Unfortunately it does not pay the bills. L.A. is expensive!

3. You have to make your own things happen! Somehow...find a way. Team up with film maker friends....make a movie...write a musical...get it funded somehow. There is no one right way to make any of this happen...but waiting for the right job to come around for anyone out here is like winning the lottery. It just does not happen. So...you have to make your own projects. Sooner or later...someone will take notice. Which goes back to the persistence thing above.

4. Don't limit yourself to one thing...or one genre...or one type of music. Be willing to do anything or everything. A theater project you work on may have producers on it who work in the film industry. A film's producer who likes your work may have a cousin who makes video games. A video game maker may have a roommate that does animation at Disney and he likes you music. You just never know where things come from. And one job always leads to the next!

So...in a nut shell...if you do come out here....know these things. Really. It is all about who you know...who trusts you...and networking with the right individuals. It is a very social town and this is how business is conducted. Know how to play that game and you can survive in L.A. If you don't (or choose not to) you will ultimately find L.A. very inhospitable.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    P.S.

Brian R. is correct in most of his opinions.

Ern
    Just not the political ones...right Ern?
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    P.S.

--- Then we can go for a margarita at El Coyote!

Ern
    Yea !and Brian R. buys!
    It's ok Brian, we will have a "liberals buy the beer night too!"

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast