• Register
  • Help

Topic: AMD users feedback

Share/Bookmark

AMD Processor feedback

Hi again. From my "monitors" post some of you know my current situation. (Bought a house = broke, new project= gotta upgrade my CPU)

I'm upgrading my AMD Athlon XP 1800 FSB 266 (1.53 ) 256 cache to an AMD Athlon XP 3000 FSB 400 Barton core (2 gig) 512 cache. Does anybody use this cpu? I know this will be leaps ahead of what I currently have, but I'd like to hear of anyone else's success (or frustration) with this processor.
    Last edited by joshj; 11-15-2004 at 05:49 PM. Reason: 'cause
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Re: AMD users feedback

I take it I'm amongst Pentium lovers eh?
    I think a favorite gag in medival times was to sneak up behind a Knight and stick a "kick me" sign on his armor with a magnet.

Thumbs up Re: AMD users feedback

I use a Barton 2500+ with FSB pushed to 400MHz and get 3200+ performance from a $75 CPU...

LOVE IT
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by joshj
    I take it I'm amongst Pentium lovers eh?
    Maybe so. But I'd have to wonder why. AMD is already outperforming Intel by miles.

My advice is to save up a few extra bucks and go with a new mobo/AMD 64 combo. I've had a Barton 2500+ for awhile and while it's great, it's getting a little long in the tooth. I can't wait to take the next leap.

I totally agree Rob! I'm gonna go 64 when the software industry is geared up for it though (i.e. Windows 64, Sonar 5, etc.) I'm hoping this 3200 will be a leap up though.

The AMD 64 can run 32-bit code, drivers, and OS - that's the beauty of the line. You get to go ahead and make use of the Hypertransport and HUGE L-caches, as well as an on-chip memory controllers - which makes a big difference in performance before the software catches up... once that's out then there will be another bound forward without any change in hardware. If cost is not a prohibing factor, then by all means go with a 939 socket mobo.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Makes me wonder about the advances in PCI-Express as well. I wonder if 64-bit powerhouse computers could take on the same jobs as maybe 2-3 of them together do now. What do you think?

AMD Athlon 64 939-pin 4000+
    4GB PC3200 Performance RAM
    64-bit OS and Drivers
    PCI-Express low latency soundcards (or even standard PCI)

How much polyphony could you pull out of that?! Could you max out your orchestra with lets say....QLSO Gold? Besides, Gold only allows two computer registrations anyways, so would this take on the power two computers with the technology of right now?

Drool... I don't know but like to see what I could do with that. Smack!

Go Back to forum