• Register
  • Help

Topic: Completely O/T and non-GPO related...

Share/Bookmark

Completely O/T and non-GPO related...

.. but since you guys are all so excellent I figured I'd share something I just put up at the Toontrack forum showcasing their Drumkit From Hell Superior plugin. In case you wanted to hear the old crazy rocker side of me Have fun!!

http://www.toontrack.com/cgi-bin/yab...1929;start=0#0

Re: Completely O/T and non-GPO related...

Nice drum work indeed, Thanks!
    Nice organ, also. What did you use for that?

WHAT A GORGEOUS, BEAUTIFUL, KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF Rhodes. Ooh...my bloody FAVORITE!!!! Flanged and/or Phased appropriately. I actually HAD an original Suitcase 88 Rhodes (you know, the kind that took its own horse trailer and two guys to lift it to the stage...okay maybe that's an exaggeration...) and I had a Boss Flanger hooked to it to give it that way cool flanging sound. I never did get around to "Dyno-My'ing" it because it would have taken too much work and the suitcase model wasn't really suited for that. Besides, now you can get the Dyno-My Rhodes in a bunch of different sound libraries.

Anyway...way cool arrangement and tune. The drums were simply KICKIN'!!!! That's the GPO of the drum world. Sounds like a guy just POUNDING the DICKENS out of some skins. I had a lowly Remo CB-700 set with Zildjian cymbals that I used to beat on (actually played one country gig with it).

Man you are tight on those things...what are you triggering them with...a keyboard or some drum pads?

So...were you modulating between mixolydian (sp?) and dorian there or what (just kidding...I've already forgotten the different "modes" but you were definitely playing in some wacked out scaling)? Nice breaks at around 4:00. And the tortured B-3 (or B-4?) is a nice touch too. Was the distortion guitar live or sampled and played via keyboard?

All around it had a LOT going on in that 8 minutes. Okay, now the synth is going crazy near 6:00. I fully expected the Styx portamento saturated solo (a-la- Fooling Yourself - Angry Young Man??) but you avoided it.

Great job. I was just dying to throw a Dyno-My-Rhodes solo in there for ya, but your synth solo would have put it to shame anyway, so what's the point! Ooh WAIT...you started slamming the Rhodes around 7:00. OH YEAH!!!! TOUCHE BROTHER.....TOUCHE!!! The Yellowjackets would shed a tear (of joy) at your ripping up the keyboard like that.

You're playing from my era old man!! Loved it!!

Okay...I can go to bed now. Thanks! I'll have to keep in touch with you on some projects in the back of my mind that you'd appreciate! And I will definitely be using a screaming Dyno-My Rhodes you can bet (especially after getting inspired by your piece above!!).

shutting up...(man, I feel like Styxx (the man, not the band)).
    Kevin B. Selby
    http://kevinselby.com <-- Public site
    http://kevinselby.com/gpo <--My music catalog FREE to GPO users: username: gpo - pword: garritan

So, Kevin, did you like it!? *lol*

The organ is my old Hammond XM-1 module going through a real Leslie 147 for "the sound". It retired my old CV but is now replaced by the amazing Native Instruments B4 (still routed through the Leslie).

The Rhodes sound is none other than a Roland RS-9. It's a secret weapon. I do the drums from a keyboard. Guitar is real (as evidenced by the fact I'm not that good *lol*)

Next I want to get this stuff and GOS/GPO together on the same track...

Kevin, definitely hook me up with your stuff!!

BTW the aforementioned Hammond CV is going on eBay next week for $10, no reserve. Anyone who lives close enough to Chattanooga to pick it up basically gets a free organ. Watch for it In fact if anyone is interested PM me and I won't even have to list it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    .. but since you guys are all so excellent I figured I'd share something I just put up at the Toontrack forum showcasing their Drumkit From Hell Superior plugin. In case you wanted to hear the old crazy rocker side of me Have fun!!

http://www.toontrack.com/cgi-bin/yab...1929;start=0#0
    Hey!! Now that was fun! Takes me back 15 years to my years as bass player with a fusion combo. This stuff is so much fun to play! Now I'm itchin' to get the bass out! Reminds me the old Chick Corea/Stanley Clarke/Al DiMeola (can't recall who was on the skins...Lenny White, maybe?) "Return to Forever" stuff, especially the guitar tone. Nice groove, love the keys all around. Thanks for sharing!

Jim

Thumbs up Re: Completely O/T and non-GPO related...

That's a big YEAH! love the drumming! Like on the Dave Weckle side. You have quite a mixture of several favorable bands in there. Al Dimeola (sorry for the spelling) Carlos Santana sounding guitar, and plenty of others.
    Is that you playing skins? If so, it's a good thing I retired from bangin' the old tubs!
    My five stars and two thumbs up. This was a nice refreshing change, thanks for posting.
    Styxx

FredProgGH,

Four thumbs up! Really good stuff. And you know how to write the perfect ending too. I would like to hear more.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    FredProgGH,

Four thumbs up! Really good stuff. And you know how to write the perfect ending too. I would like to hear more.

Tom

*lol* That's not actually the ending. The thing has 6 more sections and lasts a whole album! I'm updating it in my spare time with DFHS as I can...

What's at 3:42?? I'll have to listen but I bet it's the Artruria MiniMoog V plugin. This is the greatest thing EVER (except for GOS/GPO!!). My real MiniMoog is in a bathtub. (That's where we keep unused intsruments- in the bathtub.) I will never have to fix it again. The Arturia sounds exactly like it, period, except it stays in tune!! And it has a ploy mode, so it's really more like a MemoryMoog. For $200. I LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    *lol* That's not actually the ending. The thing has 6 more sections and lasts a whole album!
    Maybe I'll like the way you chose to actually end things just as well! Then again, I prefer things that end without resolution (but with a sense of humor) and this excerpt worked exactly as I prefer. Fun! Sounds like an interesting extended album of material. Let us know when you complete it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Maybe I'll like the way you chose to actually end things just as well! Then again, I prefer things that end without resolution (but with a sense of humor) and this excerpt worked exactly as I prefer. Fun! Sounds like an interesting extended album of material. Let us know when you complete it.

Tom
    Well, you're right, it is an ending; as much as a symphony movement is. From there it all careens into a completely different place. In fact, there are only two minor thematic ideas that link any of the sections together anyway, and neither one has shown up yet in part one *lol* The idea of presenting the whole as one work is hubris more than anything else.

So thank you for the compliment!!

BTW, the piece is currently titled Do Not See Me, Rabbit. Anyone know the history of that??

Go Back to forum