• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you stage instruments?

Share/Bookmark

How do you stage instruments?

How do I push woodwinds further to the back of the stage, for instance? I tried mucking with reverb, but it didn't come out convincing.

V.

Re: How do you stage instruments?

Use a delay plugin or the delay effect in your sequencer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Use a delay plugin or the delay effect in your sequencer.
    How long? How much feedback? What damping of frequencies?

V.

It's not as simple as increasing the "wet" levels over the "dry" levels. It can require some rather sophisticated manipulation of the virtual sound environment. Since some of my answers get a little long-winded, you can stop here, or go on. I get the impression that a lot of the folks here don't wanna know how it works, they wanna know how to work it.

You have to delay the direct sound in relation to the timing of the "early-reflections" sound, and their arrival at the virtual mic. (This is a term that a lot of high-end software delay packages bandy about freely) That is, to increase the amount of time it takes for the direct sound (line-of-site) from the woods to get to the virtual microphone to make sure that early reflections arrive around the same time - this will aurally increase the distance from the woods to the virtual mic.

I'm at work, so I cannot verify if this is possible with the GPO reverb - it is in Soundforge and with Impulses.

The only problem there is unless you run the woods on their own audio tracks (not too hard), you'll apply the same acoustic characteristic to all instruments. Hopefully this made sense.

EDIT: Changed some verbiage - I was interchanging level and timing

Stevemitchell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    You have to delay the direct sound in relation to the timing of the "early-reflections" sound, and their arrival at the virtual mic. (This is a term that a lot of high-end software delay packages bandy about freely) That is, to increase the amount of time it takes for the direct sound (line-of-site) from the woods to get to the virtual microphone to make sure that early reflections arrive around the same time - this will aurally increase the distance from the woods to the virtual mic.
    Steve, that makes sense. A little.

How do I manipulate early reflections? Is that through the pre-delay? (I'm using Logic's Space Designer.) And to push an instrument back, do I delay the whole track, but not the pre-delay?

V.

PS work in progress

Hmm. If they're calling "pre-delay" an effect where the "wet" sound is advanced by a couple of milliseconds ahead of the "dry" original sound, then my guess would be yes. The refected sound hits your ears (or the mic) FIRST, but only by a couple of ms. That'll put some distance. You'll have to play with the levels as well.

Stevemitchell.

[QUOTE=SteveMitchell]Hmm. If they're calling "pre-delay" an effect where the "wet" sound is advanced by a couple of milliseconds ahead of the "dry" original sound, then my guess would be yes. The refected sound hits your ears (or the mic) FIRST, but only by a couple of ms. /QUOTE]

That's impossible, I'd say. The reflected sound travels a larger distance, so it should arrive later than the direct sound.

From the Space Designer manual: "Pre-delay is the amount of time that elapses between the original signal, and the arrival of the early reflections. Put another way, it represetnts the time the effected signal is delayed in relation to the unprocessed direct signal."

I'll play with it. Thanks for your responses.

Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeVic
    How do I push woodwinds further to the back of the stage, for instance?V.
    Just tell them to get their lazy bony butts up and move their chairs back!
    Styxx

Oh Yeah?? FIRST was probably the wrong word. But if some lady with a big hat or big bum is sitting in front of you, I will bet $$$$ that those "reflected" sounds might hit your ear sooner or at least only 1 or 2 ms apart. You get the idea though.

Stevemitchell

Thumbs up Re: How do you stage instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Just tell them to get their lazy bony butts up and move their chairs back!
    Terrific this one...

SergeD

Go Back to forum