• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Day After Tomorrow?

Share/Bookmark

The Day After Tomorrow?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I know I'm a little behind as far as the big Hollywood blockbusters go (since I read books instead of watching TV or going to the movies), but I just recently watched this. I just wondered how many of you guys have seen this? The special effects were outstanding, the plot a little hard to swallow (but good nonetheless), the music was a little too predictable. I enjoyed it though.

My question is how many of you, like me, were rooting for mother nature? I was cheering old mother nature on. "Get the SUV, water wasting, toss the trash on the highway, bastards," I screamed as snow buried Manhattan. It was liberating to be sure. There's a part of me that secretly wished it all would happen just like in the film. It appealed to my masochistic outlook on society and filled me with joy as the planet turned its back on humanity and showed us who was really boss. I loved it, if only for that fact. How many of you watched in joy as mother nature kicked our collective a##es in the film?

Unhappy Re: The Day After Tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    There's a part of me that secretly wished it all would happen just like in the film. It appealed to my masochistic outlook on society and filled me with joy as the planet turned its back on humanity and showed us who was really boss. I loved it, if only for that fact. How many of you watched in joy as mother nature kicked our collective a##es in the film?
    I find your post very disturbing. Your outlook, as you describe it, is not at all masochistic, but rather overtly sadistic. You really should consider finding out why you (not so) "secretly" wish for the end to humankind and why this prospect fills you with "joy."

Re: The Day After Tomorrow?

Why shouldn't I be overtly sadistic in my outlook? Mankind has raped the earth of all her goodness. What we've done to the planet is disturbing. Ignorance is no excuse. Now we have the knowledge of what we're doing and yet, it hasn't made a difference. We deserve to perish in the fire of her vengeance. That's what my heart told me when I watched the film. Yes, I got a good feeling when mother nature exacted her just revenge on humanity. Don't take it personally. I don't wish the inevitable end of the human race any sooner than it will surely happen, its just that as I watched the film, I knew in my heart that we'd all got what was coming to us. All's well that end's well. The gods are in their heaven and all is right with the world. And so on. But, I'm a deeply disturbing sadistic individual that has been plagued since birth with a sarcastic pessimistic outlook on life in general and people in particular.

I know I'm a little behind as far as the big Hollywood blockbusters go (since I read books instead of watching TV or going to the movies), but I just recently watched this. I just wondered how many of you guys have seen this? The special effects were outstanding, the plot a little hard to swallow (but good nonetheless), the music was a little too predictable. I enjoyed it though.

My question is how many of you, like me, were rooting for mother nature? I was cheering old mother nature on. "Get the SUV, water wasting, toss the trash on the highway, bastards," I screamed as snow buried Manhattan. It was liberating to be sure. There's a part of me that secretly wished it all would happen just like in the film. It appealed to my masochistic outlook on society and filled me with joy as the planet turned its back on humanity and showed us who was really boss. I loved it, if only for that fact. How many of you watched in joy as mother nature kicked our collective a##es in the film?

I know what you mean and then I catch myself and remember that we, ourselves, are as much a part of mother nature as the rest of her.

Ironic, isnt it.

Jim

Why shouldn't I be overtly sadistic in my outlook? Mankind has raped the earth of all her goodness.
    “Good” by what standard? Good for whom? Good for mankind? Or “good” innately?

Judging from your ambivalence toward Mankind, it’s only logical to assume that nature’s value to mankind is not the standard you’re using.

I find it supremely ironic how leftists claim to care for their neighbor and love the “community” as supposedly evidenced by their willingness to loot the “rich” for the benefit of the “poor”. And yet we also see that many of these same leftists have a thinly veiled hatred for Mankind as a whole. Can the two be related in some way? Could it be that subconsciously you know that by plundering the good, you are ensuring our final destruction, thus satisfying your sadistic appetites? No probably not…

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck
    I know what you mean and then I catch myself and remember that we, ourselves, are as much a part of mother nature as the rest of her.
    Precisely! Thanks for pointing that out.

Been a while since we've had a good pro/anti environtalist thread around here. It's starting to feel like Groundhog Day in this forum. What the heck, I'll bite...

It has been said that most so-called environmentalists are actually more anti-mankind than they are pro-environment. Joseph's post is a prime example.

It is important to understand that man's survival *requires* that he modify his environment to suit his needs. That is, we're not particularly fast, strong, or fierce looking, and we don't have thick fur, big teeth, or sharp claws. What we DO have are the faculties of volition and reason. These are our tools for survival, and without them, it is safe to say that man would inhabit a very small portion of the planet. With them, we are able to confront all kinds of life-threatening problems nature throws at us, including disease, drought, famine, severe weather, etc.

Do we create some problems in the process? Sure. But nothing of value comes for free -- something the left has a difficult time grasping (that's another thread altogether). I would suggest that leveling a huge chunk of land to build office buildings, retail stores, factories, schools, hospitals, etc. (like that place called Manhattan that Joseph so enjoyed watching get covered in snow) represents a huge triumph for man. What a tragedy that environmentalists see it only as the destruction of nature.

The logical end of Joseph's way of thinking is the total eradication of mankind for nature's sake. Then what? What value does nature have without man here to make use of it?

Very aptly put. I enjoy good debates.

Here's another take on it, now that I've let in marinate for a while.

Please keep in mind that I'm also part of the human race. I also would like to mention that normally I don't get enjoyment from thinking of my brethren across this grand world getting destroyed. It was just while I was viewing the film that the fanciful idea came to mind that one day, its probably going to happen, and we're going to deserve it.

As to the achievements of mankind. How little they actually matter when compared to the entirety of the universe. I mean it is grand that we come up with these great ideas, like words flying through the air on radio waves. However, should the desecration of mother earth be the consequence for such advances? You're right, we are part of the earth and when she dies, we go along with it. That's the point, really.

But I digress. Here's something that depresses me, and something for you to chew on. It has to do with carelessness and greed. We have a lot of business going out of business where I live. The buildings stand there, and rot. Its depressing to know that trees were cut down, grass substituted for asphalt and concrete, homes for the woodland creatures destroyed, etc. And yet, when the business fails and they close up shop, instead of taking that dilapidated eye sore and tearing it down and building a park for the surrounding community, what do we do? We let it sit there until its worthless to anyone shopping for office space. How droll. Why not make something environmentally friendly out of the space? Because that doesn't pay the rent apparently.

But please, keep in mind, that I along with everyone else shares our portion of the fault. It was just something that came to me and I thought I'd share it and feel everyone else out.

Talking Re: The Day After Tomorrow?

Silly, but entertaining movie. Go live in a cave if you hate life so much dude. The rest of us that love life will live it to the fullest! Speaking of “SUV, water wasting, toss the trash on the highway, bastards," My wife and I just bought a pair of H2 Hummers to celebrate the election and an awesome paycheck I just got for a job I just finished. Kind of "His and Hers". I got a H2 SUT and she got a H2 (got kids to haul around too). Now we can pull our boat (a 2001 Eliminator 230 Eagle, so cool!) and Yamaha Waverunners in style! I can’t wait for summer! But, Ski season first! Mammoth and Tahoe are calling! We're the happiest bastards you'll ever meet!!

I think everyone is taking his original post a little too seriously. I think the entire point of the film was to give a bit of a cheap thrill at seeing Manhattan roiling with water. It helps a lot if you've lived there, and can imagine the water sweeping through. I wasn't exactly rooting for the destruction of the city, any more than I wanted the aliens to win in the even worse film Independence Day. (Anyone else hear cheers and applause from the audience when various well-known places were destroyed in that film?)

The worst part of The Day After....: the wolves. Spliced in to liven things up again near the end, I suspect. After all, once you have the water and then the ice, the situation's static. Not much dramatic interest in watching people freeze to death. They might have had more conflict between the trapped kids though, the usual disaster film method. I don't remember the music at all...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast