• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale, GPO and articulations

Share/Bookmark

Finale, GPO and articulations

I noticed that since I have GPO set for playback, any articulations seem to be ignored. Is this normal?

Settings
    Optimize for Carritan Personal Orchestra checked
    Use Modulation Wheel for Volume Unchecked
    Smooth Velocities Checked

User Midi Data
    Volume: HP (Incorporate Datat)
    Velocity: HP (Ingnore Data)
    Start/Stop: HP (Ingnore Data)
    Tempo: No HP Effect
    Jim

GPO, Finale 2006, Powermac Dual G4, 2 Gig ram, OS 10.4.1

Re: Finale, GPO and articulations

Quote Originally Posted by jimmol
    Settings
    Optimize for Carritan Personal Orchestra checked
    Use Modulation Wheel for Volume Unchecked
    Smooth Velocities Checked

User Midi Data
    Volume: HP (Incorporate Datat)
    Velocity: HP (Ingnore Data)
    Start/Stop: HP (Ingnore Data)
    Tempo: No HP Effect
    Jim,

I was hoping that someone who actually uses Finale would chime in here with an answer but I'll take a guess from looking at your list. Keep in mind I can't test anything to confirm this observation but: "Use Modulation Wheel for Volume" should probably be checked since that is how all Expressive instruments in the library are controlled. I can't help you decipher the section on User Midi Data. Maybe a successful Finale user will clear things up for you.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    "Use Modulation Wheel for Volume" should probably be checked since that is how all Expressive instruments in the library are controlled. Tom
    You are right, I went back and checked the setup sheet online after I read what you had to say and I need to check it. It works as it should, most of the time. One of my songs has some notes that go a bit loud or soft on occation, but it works.

Thanks Tom
    Jim

Jim,

I double-checked your settings and with "use modulation wheel for volume" checked it worked perfectly with GPO Studio. All of the articulations played back.

However, even with "use modulation wheel for volume" UN-checked the articulations still played back correctly for me, the volume was missing though. And the articulations played with human playback either on or off. Try using just Finale's soundfont for playback. If the articulations work there, there's no reason they won't work with GPO.

Jeff

Jeff,

What is you drop down slider say? Velosity? what is the slider set for?

Thanks

Jim

ps, most of my score plays fine, but there are several places where it acts strange.
    Jim

Even with "Use Modulation Wheel for Volume" I have found that on the instruments that use the mod wheel that I have to go through the Expressions editor and change all of the dynamics to Controller 1 instead of Key Velocity. The Hairpins and articulations work fine, though.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

I must be doing something wrong. If this were true, I would have to create an entirely seperate set of dynamics for the Velocity driven instruments like percussion and piano.... hmmmm
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    If this were true, I would have to create an entirely seperate set of dynamics for the Velocity driven instruments like percussion and piano.... hmmmm
    No, Jeff, this is all fine as long as you use HP. Pratically, you don't need Modulation-based dynamics with HP, even if it recognizes them; it's better to keep the old style Velocity-based dynamics, and HP converts everything on-the-fly to Modulation for sustaining instruments. Velocity is kept for percussive instruments.

Robert

How does HP know which is sustaining and which is percussive?
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    How does HP know which is sustaining and which is percussive?
    By a set of clues: staff/group names (it includes a 4-language dict), staff stype (transposition, etc), clef, brace type, etc. In practive, HP is able to guess the type of instrument with 100% certainty (well, I think!)

Robert

Go Back to forum