• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Share/Bookmark

Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Arrangement from the Oxford Book of Carols.

Comments appreciated, preferably constructive.

V.

Thumbs up Re: Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Constructive eh? Well my friend, seeing that it's a Christmas Carol it would be nice to hear some percussive sparkle say using glockenspiel? Of course, that's the percussionist talking. As far as technical I thought it was just fine.
    Seems as if there is so much holiday music we could have a double CD set!
    Styxx

Re: Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Hm. I was hoping for some more feedback. I'm really struggling with the amount of reverb on all these instruments.

Also, some instruments sound like they are very close-miked. I had the hardest time getting rid of the wind noise in that solo flute. I mean, if you'd be standing next to the guy you'd hear it, but not if he's on a stage 50ft away. I needed a three-band EQ just for the flute. How do other people do that?

V.

Thumbs up Re: Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Truthfully, the "wind" noise in the flute was hardly noticeable if at all. Are you applying reverb on the whole mix or one track at a time and what reverb are you using? If it is the Garritan Ambience you can mix in as much dry or wet or as little as you need.
    Be that it may, I honestly think this is a real nice sounding mix. Hopefully, others will join in and help you find what you're looking for.
    Styxx

Re: Oh hell, why not some more Xmas music?

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeVic
    Hm. I was hoping for some more feedback. I'm really struggling with the amount of reverb on all these instruments.
    ok you want opinions....
    I think you work to hard. Applaying different reverbs for the individual instruments is a very tricky thing to do. If you compare the space for the flute in the beginning and the brass in the end you do quite a journey. And even in the end, I have the impression the organ and the brass is not playing in the same room.
    What to do? I recomend taking all individual reverbs out and apply a general room ambiance to the overall mix. After that you can still play around with individual instruments if they dont fit in terms of distance. On that point, you focus more on predelay and damping (or coloring) then room size...

Cutting out high frequencies on the flute and not adding enough room (reverb) does not put the flute back in the room. I rather have some extra "air noise" then a dull sounding flute.
    Usual disclaimer about personal taste and artistic freedom bla bla....
    rené

Go Back to forum