• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Collection CDs?

Share/Bookmark

Question Collection CDs?

Okay, continuing my brainstorming on selling CDs for those of you who don't already have them (see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=27143), here's another thought.

I suspect that many of you would like to sell some CDs, but don't currently have enough material to make a complete one of yourself. And, due to pesky little thinks like making a living, spending time with the ones you love, watering the dog, feeding the plants, etc., you may not have time in the near future to finish your Ultimate CD Project, either. So, what's a Composer to do?

Well, it occurred to me that it actually wouldn't be any problem for me to put together CDs that were a collection of various artists on a single CD. Instead of the money going to a single artist, it would be split up based on the number of songs on the CD, e.g. if there were 10 songs and two of them were yours, then 20% of the cut would go to you. Same basic architecture as previously mentioned - once a month I whip out my pocket protector, er, I mean calculator and send everyone a check.

This would allow me to immediately include everyone who wanted to participate (in the States & Canada, of course, until it proves successful enough for me to do the international stuff), regardless of how many songs they had out.

Most CDs would naturally be grouped with songs of a similar vibe, but some could also be done with a variety of styles and presented to listeners as "samplers". That would also encourage repeat sales - buy a sampler, realize there's a few artists you really like, go back and buy the rest of their work.

So, would those of you who only have a few songs on the radio be interested in something like this?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Collection CDs?

Indeed, I'd definitely be interested, what a kind offer! I just finished posting in the other thread that I didn't have enough material for my own CD.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Collection CDs?

Get the feeling I'm following you around? Well, I am.
    OK, where's those sedatives...... You're doing it again Chris.
    Count me in if in your professional opinion my music would help and not hinder the sale of such CD. My music is copyright under Styxxville copyright office, Walla Walla Warshington.
    Now, there was a legitimate question I was going to ask, but forgot. Eh! Since when do I ask legitimate sensible questions anywho?

"water the dog, feed the plants" hmmmmm.
    Styxx

Talking Re: Collection CDs?

Christopher my man, you are in overdrive! I really like this idea alot and would love to participate if my music would fit the bill.

I would like to add a thought: Some of us have websites where we do sell the occational CD. I would love to be able to offer "collections and samplers" on my site. I too am a big fan of all these artists and would love to share their music (CD's) to visitors on my site. Would it be possible for Show Programing to distribute collections for this purpose? It would be just one more way to increase exposure.

Also, just prior to launch, I would love to get links to the Station, Logos etc so that I can post this exciting project on my site. I am so excited about what this project will do for our community.

Thank you for taking on such an endevor!
    www.williamwest.org

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Thumbs up Re: Collection CDs?

Hey, speaking of a collection CD, there is already in the works a Christmas CD of some fine GPO musicians / composers. I believe all of the songs are of public domain. Wouldn't this fit the bill as well? Maybe as a promotional CD?
    First, you gotta ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well, do ya ... punk? Dirty Harry.

Little guy - (lighting Clints cigar) Whatja say your name was buddy?
    Clint - I didn't.
    Little guy - OK, I didn't.
    High plains Drifter
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    OK, where's those sedatives......
    Whoa, easy, man - the 70s were good to me!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by William West
    Christopher my man, you are in overdrive! I really like this idea alot and would love to participate if my music would fit the bill.

I would like to add a thought: Some of us have websites where we do sell the occational CD. I would love to be able to offer "collections and samplers" on my site. I too am a big fan of all these artists and would love to share their music (CD's) to visitors on my site. Would it be possible for Show Programing to distribute collections for this purpose? It would be just one more way to increase exposure.

Also, just prior to launch, I would love to get links to the Station, Logos etc so that I can post this exciting project on my site. I am so excited about what this project will do for our community.

Thank you for taking on such an endevor!
    Man, you guys are all coming up with such great ideas!

The ecommerce system I use has built in stuff for affiliate sales (where people basically get a commission for sales linked through from their site). I think this is an excellent plan, and will give you guys just one more way to generate a little money for those rumored new libraries that Gary and the guys are working on! I'll definitely set all that up.

As for your music, fit the bill? Are you kidding? I think people are going to love it!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Indeed, I'd definitely be interested, what a kind offer! I just finished posting in the other thread that I didn't have enough material for my own CD.
    Well, see, I just kinda had a sense of that, using the Force and all, you know. Many of my friends think I'm psycho. Er, psychic. Well, one of those psych things, anyway...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Okay, I decided to do this the easy way. Again, I'll get some details up in the next few days as far as price, how much you make, etc. However, for those who are interested, there is now an extra check box when you go to edit your song name, description, "Include in CDs". That way you can choose on a song by song basis what you want included and what you don't.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I don't have enough material for a full cd either so being part of a compilation would definitely be interesting for me. The only problem I could see would be that you'd quickly get 30 or 40 tunes vying for space on the same cd.

Go Back to forum