• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harpsichord Velocity/Volume Problem

Share/Bookmark

Harpsichord Velocity/Volume Problem

According to the manual, the harpsichord instrument should respond to velocity to establish volume, but that's not happening for me, either in Overture or Finale.

Any ideas as to what I might need to do?
    DrH

P.S. I am using Studio 1.2 with the latest GPO update.

Re: Harpsichord Velocity/Volume Problem

That may be a mistake in the manual. The harpsichord doesn't respond to velocity and neither does a real harpsichord.

I just checked the manual and there is indeed an error stating that harpsichord responds to velocity (it shouldn't and doesn't). For more information on the hows and whys of harpsichord see Terry Dwyer's tutorial here: http://www.garritan.com/HarpsichordTutorilalGPO.html

Tom

Tom - I'm not sure if GPO 2nd Edition came out before or after the above discussion, but I thought I'd better point out that vel (vol) and sus are still listed in the 2nd Edition manual as controls for the GPO harpsichord. I was trying to use the harpsichord last night and thought I was going mad until I read this post !
    I've also been a bit baffled by the B5 keyswitch, which didn't seem to have any effect (I was wondering if it should have been B6, as B5 seemed to be right in the middle of the notes I was playing), but maybe you need to exit the player and reload before it works...?
    In any case, many thanks for the link to the GPO harpsichord tutorial, which has given me some new ideas and cleared up a lot of misunderstandings !

Quote Originally Posted by vivmarsh
    Tom - I'm not sure if GPO 2nd Edition came out before or after the above discussion, but I thought I'd better point out that vel (vol) and sus are still listed in the 2nd Edition manual as controls for the GPO harpsichord.
    An oversight. I'll check to see if it's too late to make the change to the K2 manual.
    I've also been a bit baffled by the B5 keyswitch, which didn't seem to have any effect (I was wondering if it should have been B6, as B5 seemed to be right in the middle of the notes I was playing), but maybe you need to exit the player and reload before it works...?
    The problem is one of point of reference. Manufacturers have been unable to agree upon which "C" is to be viewed as middle "C." Some choose C3, some C4, and some C5. Whenever you run into a problem like this check for keyswitch function in the other octaves to be sure. A good point of reference is the violins: In GPO, the lowest G is considered G3.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'd naively assumed that everyone concurred with Sonar's reference-points ! I'll try an octave (or even two) higher.

Go Back to forum