• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first GPO recording :D

Share/Bookmark

Talking My first GPO recording :D

Here it is, after having to record each section of the orchestra seperately, ie Strings, Winds, Brass.

This is a Violin Concerto movement (there may be more to come!) that I composed while a blues band I play with was in Lugano, Switzerland. Mind you, there is NO blues influence in this one...

Tell me what you think.

Lugano Concerto for Violin, op. 20
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: My first GPO recording :D

Howdy, neighbor!! (Noticed you live just up the road!!)

I've been super busy recently and I'm really behind on the tons of stuff people are submitting. But something told me to check this out. Obviously looking at your resume you're not a newcomer to composing. I saw some heavyhitters on the list of people you've studied under- including Wynton!! How cool is that!!??

Anyway, this is a really solid peice and very well programmed. The dynamics come across really well. The solo violin really sings. (Killer cadenza!! Can a real violin do a triple stop??) Nothing I would nitpick at all, really!! OK, one thing If it were me I'd try to get those tympani a bit wetter/more distant. Possibly the brass too. Actually, all of it to some degree. *lol*.

But all in all it's an inspiring piece of work. If this is your starting point for GPO I can imagine where you'll be in a short while!!

Thanks for the comments. A violin can actually do a quadruple stop... Although it sounds like grace notes. Beethoven wrote unison quadruple stops in the Fifth Symphony, but most conductors divide the 1st and 2nd violins among the notes.

J
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: My first GPO recording :D

Very nicely arranged and dynamically orchestrated! Wow!
    It is a pleasure to have you on the forum and looking forward to listening more from you in the near future!
    Styxx

I really enjoyed this piece! Do you happen to have a score (or do you plan on making one)? I'm starting to get obsessed with reading scores while listening.

I love the melodies, and though this movement over ten minutes, it never gets boring! I look forward to hearing more . . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I would never have been able to come up with that piece on the keyboard alone! I right with a modified version of good ole' counterpoint.. I do have the score in Finale. I can't make it available until after a competition I intend on entering this piece in, though. Sorry.

Thanks for the compliments!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I do have the score in Finale. I can't make it available until after a competition I intend on entering this piece in, though. Sorry.
    I understand! After the competition, though, will you share it? Good luck in the competition, sounds like you'll do well!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Jess,

Nice work on the violin. One small suggestion: The violin sounds like its reverb return is in mono. Stereo would sound more natural.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Here it is, after having to record each section of the orchestra seperately, ie Strings, Winds, Brass.

This is a Violin Concerto movement:
    Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed your piece! However, the link that you posted above doesn't work anymore. Here is the correct link for others looking for this piece:

Jess, which of the other pieces on your site did you compose using only (or at least primarily) GPO?

David

Thanks for your comments. I actually started a new thread recently when I re-recorded this piece on my new G5:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31874
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum