• Register
  • Help

Topic: Not Much Hair Left!

Share/Bookmark

Not Much Hair Left!

Windows XP, 1.8 clock, 1 Gb Ram, 7200 rpm hard drive, Sonar 2.2 with Cakewalk VST adapter. Sound card is Audigy 2 ZS. All drivers everywhere up to date. Free of spyware, virus, etc. Norton Utilities show no problems. PC Dr also checks good. Locking out swap not selected. Don't use DFD.

When using the VST adapter, Sonar crashes so often and lound sounds like thunder rolling over the redwoods.

I removed Sonar, GPO, deleted folders, cleared registry entries. Re-installed all fresh. No change except more hair gets torn out of my nearly nude scalp!

I can open VST from the Synth Rack view. But from that point on, chance reigns supreme.

According to Dr Watson, the crash is due to access violation, but that helps me about as much as a butter knife would have helped St. George with that dragon.

Using DXi has not caused problems. Maybe I should just go that route. However, I am hard headed, perhaps because I just bought the VST Adapter from Cakewalk. Previously, I had used GPO Studio as my vst host for Sonar as well as Sibelius, but most often with Sonar. In either case, no problems, except that as I expand number of instruments, CPU usage increases quite noticeably.

Cakewalk might eventually solve the problem, but even allowing for the longevity of my family, I have not more than 30 years left for waiting time.

Richard

Re: Not Much Hair Left!

Hi Richard - Is this an error that comes up as a dialog box? ...or does XP blue-screen and die?

If it's the former, we might be able to glean some information from the event log.

Before we begin, when did these problems start? Has this always happened? Has this setup ever worked?

(BTW, I use Sonar 2.2, and don't think I have a "VST adapter". I just load GPO (with all the little pianos) to provide the ports, along with ASIO drivers and then I load Sonar, and it never protests. GPO does all the recording as well.)

Our next step will be to look at the Event Log.

SteveMitchell

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Hi Richard - Is this an error that comes up as a dialog box? ...or does XP blue-screen and die?

If it's the former, we might be able to glean some information from the event log.

Before we begin, when did these problems start? Has this always happened? Has this setup ever worked?

(BTW, I use Sonar 2.2, and don't think I have a "VST adapter". I just load GPO (with all the little pianos) to provide the ports, along with ASIO drivers and then I load Sonar, and it never protests. GPO does all the recording as well.)

Our next step will be to look at the Event Log.

SteveMitchell

Well, the problem could not have existed prior to my recent acquisition of the VST Adapter. But since it's first use, it has been a pill. Only error message is the "Sonar must close thing" and would I like to tell Microsoft. Then everything is locked up, sometimes I can't do anything except kill the power.

DXi or Studio works fine. It just annoys me to buy something to make life easier and it backfires! (typical computer problem, I think.)

I guess I will try to find the event log, whatever that is! But first, more French Roast coffee, please!

Richard

The Event log is easy to get to.

Start>Settings>Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Event Log. We're interested in the Application Log.

BTW Richard - What am I missing not having the VST plug-in? Do I need to buy it?

Stevemitchell

Start>Settings>Control Panel> Administrative Tools>Event Log. We're interested in the Application Log.

BTW Richard - What am I missing not having the VST plug-in? Do I need to buy it?

Stevemitchell
    Well, while I was resting with my fresh coffee, I searched for event log, and found that the latest entry was 11 November 2004. I re-installed the whole shebang today. so not much help there.

My troubles would seem to say who really needs it, if DXi or Studio takes care of your needs! So don't rush to buy it yet! Others seem to have had better luck than I, so it may be that I am overlooking something silly, but for now, don't bother!

Regarding your settings fun, I will try to duplicate it, and see what I find that is worth sharing.

First move, however, is to go to adminsitrave tools and see where that lead besides the looney bin! Computers are truly quirky mephistophelian contraptions!

Richard

Stevemitchell
    Well, I looked it over, found entries that said "application hang", but I already knew that! categories, were 100, 101,102, or none. error number was 1000.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    DXi or Studio works fine. It just annoys me to buy something to make life easier and it backfires! (typical computer problem, I think.)
    If I remember correctly, GPO DXi has a tempo problem (if you send tempo event, GPO errors.) Was the problem fixed in the recent update? I cannot reach my machine right now so that I cannot verify it.

Sincerely,

BTW, my hair resource is also very limited as you see in my picture. ;-)
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    If I remember correctly, GPO DXi has a tempo problem (if you send tempo event, GPO errors.) Was the problem fixed in the recent update? I cannot reach my machine right now so that I cannot verify it.

Sincerely,

BTW, my hair resource is also very limited as you see in my picture. ;-)

Well, I did not use the DXi feature until the update, because I had problems with it, but don't remember what. I have not yet experienced problems with tempo and DXi. So far, I have used the DXi feature with some previous sequencer files, some of which have numerous rapid tempos changes, and it seems to perform quite well.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    So far, I have used the DXi feature with some previous sequencer files, some of which have numerous rapid tempos changes, and it seems to perform quite well.

Richard
    this is a great news. I have to try it myself. Thank you for the information.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Stevemitchell
    Well, thanks for your suggestion about the event log. I sent some extracts to Cakewalk, and they finally responded, with great interest. I provided more information per their request, and they are now studying the logs. Meanwhile, I will continue with DXi or Studio, either one of which will take care of my current needs.

Richard

Go Back to forum