• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just one question about Big Band...

Share/Bookmark

Just one question about Big Band...

Just wanted to pop a little question, I know it's probably one that I shouldn't really ask, but I wanted to just to try my luck.

Which saxes will be in the upcoming Big Band add-on?

I know there are a few saxes, the most common being bass, baritone, tenor, alto and soprano and I'm hoping these will be featured. There are contrabass and piccolo saxes but I'm not so sure about those ones. The first five would be a tremendous Godsend, believe me

Re: Just one question about Big Band...

The big bands of the 30's and so on, normally had 4 sometimes 5 saxophones having some of the players doubling on flute and or clarinet. This would seem to indicate that the GPO team would include all of the above, Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto and Soprano, in the Lib as standard for the section. Anything else was for "special" arrangements and could be added when needed. Be that it may, I suspect Mr. Garritan and team have taken in consideration all requests and may indeed include contrabass and piccolo.
    Who knows, maybe there’s even the sound of brass spit valves being cleared during a soft passage.
    Styxx

I've played with quite a few big bands over the years, never seen a bass sax in one. Bari, 2 tenors, 2 alto, somebody doubles clari or flute, maybe soprano, but never anything else.

It sure would be fun to have a contrabass sax on those Tower licks, tho!
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I've played with quite a few big bands over the years, never seen a bass sax in one. Bari, 2 tenors, 2 alto, somebody doubles clari or flute, maybe soprano, but never anything else.

It sure would be fun to have a contrabass sax on those Tower licks, tho!
    I concur, at the normal set up. I also played with a big band for 5 years and the saxes would often bring in bass sax and one player always brought the tiniest sax I ever heard. But, these guys were the funniest players I ever had the pleasure to work with. We had one who doubled on clarinet that would pull his clarinet apart while playing at the break and bending notes. Funny.
    Anyway, I like sax, just don't seem to get enough of it.

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
    Styxx

Go Back to forum