• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: To Raid or Not To Raid, that is the ??

Share/Bookmark

To Raid or Not To Raid, that is the ??

Building a new system, wondering everyones thoughts on building a raid system vs SATA or even SATA2 drive based system.

Thanks.

Re: To Raid or Not To Raid, that is the ??

Quote Originally Posted by retroz
    Building a new system, wondering everyones thoughts on building a raid system vs SATA or even SATA2 drive based system.
    I have SATA Raid-0 using 2 10krpm drives. The I/O speed is second to nothing I've ever seen. nearly 4 times the speed of any single drive (150 mbps). I use the raid partition as both system disk AND audio material-disk (storing Gigs and audio files for Gigastudio/cubase) which usually is a big no-no if you want a stable system without clicks and pops due to disk access limitations. The Raid-partition is actually fast enough to handle both system needs and really heavy audio-need simultaneously without causing any distarbance to the flow of the sound whatsoever. (However, I still would recommend ppl to use a separate partitions for system and audio - that would be better still).

Raid-0 however, is - as you may now - a risky buisness. If anyone of the two drives gets distorted enough, you data is forever gone. Raid-0 is fairly sensitive.

Another issue with SATA raid in a DAW is noise. My disks were one of the first SATAs that came out so they are noisy, more noisy than any conventional ATA disk. I guess today that will have improved, but pay some attention to noise level.

Also, SATAs get hot, hot, hot. Using the disks alot will not only raise the heat in your chassi but also bring the disk-temp up dangerously high. I use a HD cooler that is kind of a box which holds the entire drive, where the box itself has 3 powerful fans built in. That sort of solution helps, but still the temp is fairly high. So HD cooling is nessecary if you want your HDs to last a while.

Hope this is useful info for you. Good luck
    /T

Tomke,

Could you give us some details on your set up? Brand and model names of the drives, enclosures, PCI cards, software, etc.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Tomke,
    Could you give us some details on your set up? Brand and model names of the drives, enclosures, PCI cards, software, etc.
    ok ... assuming your focus is on the SATA system, the setup is:

Motherboard:Asus P4C800 DLX - which in itself supports SATA Raid-0
    CPU: Pentium 4 @ 3 ghz (northwood)
    Hard-drives: 2 x Western Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm sata, 35 gb each
    RAM: 4 Gb DDR running in dual mode (it's much, but needed for samples)

The software needed to install the sata raid-0 is Asus drivers, a complement to the motherboard drivers - plain and simple. Everything else is Windows driven.

Thanks for the info!

It's really too bad that 10k drives are very small in size. At 35gigs, I'd have a hard time fitting in just a couple of my sample libraries!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Yeah, but I think that will improve very soon - if not already. Things constantly get larger
    Another side of it, is that if you use 2 x 35 gb disks ( =70 gb) , there will not be as much that get lost in case of a crash, reucing the time to get the system up and running again (i.e. re-putting your samples onto disk in the same order as before the crash) - very valuable if you're in the middle of a firm time-schedule.

For me, the foremost pros with sata raid-0 is the prestanda, and the access time to the partition, <6 ms. The HD being the slowest component of the system makes me wanna put my money on that, reducing that factor as much as I can. I know of a few guys who has gotten their hands on 15 000 rpm sata raids. It's blasting. But again 35 gb drives (or less).

Biggest con, is that the system get's fast enough to make my own personal work efficiency the slowest part of the process. Sometimes you like that, sometimes you don't

The Western Digital Raptor 10K comes in 2 sizes: 36 & 72 Gb.
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1541592,00.asp

I'm also considering buying 2 of them (72Gb) to set an array on my Asus P4C800Dlx. Nice to see they're performing nice !

JGS

I'm using 2x 74GB raptors in Raid 0 for my large piano libraries, They are a little noisy but I have had no problems with overheating so far, and the system works flawlessly

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.82)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k (Sata) in Raid 0, on ICH5 controller (samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/GS3)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata 380w true power, with extra 120mm fan

Mal

Weird, my impression of SATA is that it's not a big difference over ATA133 (133Mbps/sec). SATA is 150Mbps/sec, and that's only theoretical burst speed I believe. To me, the only advantage of SATA is the significantly smaller cables. There might be more advantages than that, but I don't know of them.

I am considering building a new DAW. My current one (which I also use for email, gaming, etc) is not bad, but it could be a lot better (it's an Athlon XP 2500+, 1GB RAM, 2 x 80GB ATA133 drives). I wanna go for an Athlon 64 3500 with 2GB RAM, and dual SCSI drives. Sorry, but SATA will never be able to touch SCSI as far as performance goes. SCSI *rules*. Rather expensive though. If you've never used a computer with SCSI HDs in it, try it.. it's incredible. The speed difference in loading times is EXTREMELY noticeable. And that was back when I had a system that had SCSI2 or something. Isn't there a SCSI U3W or U4W out now or something like that??
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Don't ignore that 10K speed of the Raptors. Of course, if you go with 15K SCSIs, you'll blow the doors off of the Raptors - at a cost, of course.

-JF

Go Back to forum