• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quietest power supply around?

Share/Bookmark

Quietest power supply around?

Fed up with the storm in my studio!
    Got a Zalman CPU cooler, very quiet, now I need a quiet PSU to go with it.
    I'm looking at Zalman, Enermax, Nexus NX-3500.....

Any advise appreciated!

Re: Quietest power supply around?

I recently built a machine (Athlon 64 3200+, CDRW and CD, 2 hard drives and ATi Radeon 9200 SE graphics) and the Enermax Noisetaker 325 watt PS is plenty. It's not silent, but compares well with my other quiet power supplies. It's a variable speed PS so if it heats up it'll throttle up the fan to cool off, but I've never heard it do that. At about $50 it's a great deal.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.audiostreet.net/stevechandler
    http://www.soundclick.com/stevechandler

Silenx is the way to go. Products range from practically inaudible to dead silent at 0db. http://www.silenx.com You can buy them about anywhere.

Tim

Coolmax also has a line of fanless power supplies. I recently purchased a CF-400 (400 watts) and I'm quiet pleased with it. They're not cheap though (~$140). For details on the various models see:

http://www.coolmaxusa.com/products_p...ly.asp?item=28

Silenx is good too, but Coolmax products may be more widely available. And unlike Silenx, Coolmax fanless supplies do not have a big heatsink that sticks out the rear.

I also like the Antec "Truepower" series supplies, which do have fans but are very quiet. They're ~$100. However I would avoid all other series of Antec power supplies.

Hope this helps,

- Steve

I finally built an almost silent pc -- Antec Sonata case w/truepower, Zalman CPU cooler, ASUS P4P800-SE motherboard, and Seagate ST3120022A UltraIDE 120GB disks, Intel 3.0GHz cpu (prescott on this one, though I think I prefer Northwood). For the first time ever in a long history of computers, I can have it in the same room with me, and not banish it to a closet with a snakesnest of cables.

Other tries (still in my closet) have used ASUS P4C800-E deluxe and ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboards, both of which somehow run the fans enough faster that the noise is still annoying, even in a Sonata case; and WD Raptor disks, also loud enough to be annoying; and the intel factory cpu fans, also too loud.

i would also tryo NorthQ,

i recently bought one of these cool psu's and it is so damn quiet you nearly don't hear it if it runs *seriously*

The top rated 400W+ power supply at silentpcreview.com is the Seasonic SiperSilencer 400. I just got mine last week and it's amazingly quiet. You can hardly tell that the fan is moving. Even when powering my overclocked A64 3000+, it hardly moves any air, yet its case stays cold to the touch. Amazing. I got mine at newegg.com, but Frys also carries it. About $90.

http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

I ran the highly rated Fortron 300W supply for a few years, and the Seasonic pummels it.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    I finally built an almost silent pc -- Antec Sonata case w/truepower, Zalman CPU cooler, ASUS P4P800-SE motherboard, and Seagate ST3120022A UltraIDE 120GB disks, Intel 3.0GHz cpu (prescott on this one, though I think I prefer Northwood). For the first time ever in a long history of computers, I can have it in the same room with me, and not banish it to a closet with a snakesnest of cables.

Other tries (still in my closet) have used ASUS P4C800-E deluxe and ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboards, both of which somehow run the fans enough faster that the noise is still annoying, even in a Sonata case; and WD Raptor disks, also loud enough to be annoying; and the intel factory cpu fans, also too loud.
    OK you're where I'm at: p4p800 delux; silenx power supply; but the fan on the intel 3ghz is unbelievably noisy, and also appears to flux a bit in speed when demands are put on it. The dealer says you can't substitute anything for the cpu fan..

So he's wrong. What can I use as a substitute that's dead quiet?

BTW, my silenx doesn't push a lot of air, and the box (which contains thrive hard drives) seems too warm to me. But that's another issue.

JG

i would look forward to get the zalman cnps 7000, it is a really quiet cooler and you can turn it down to move slower, you will never need the full power of the cooler because he is so big.

Just spoke with the dealer. He says to get a really quiet cpu cooler I should spend 179 Can on a water cooling system.

Any experience with that? Is it transferrable to other cpus?

JG

Go Back to forum