• Register
  • Help

Topic: Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 3

Share/Bookmark

Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 4

OK, this one is ENTIRELY GPO. It's SOOOOO fun to do, but I'm having issues.

This is the Prokofiev "Classical" Symphony No1, 4th Movement. This is a

ROUGH CUT

The most prevalent word on this entire work is "STACCATO". BUT, if I attempt to get the effect I want, I get cut-off notes. This is the best I've been able to create so far. If there are some suggestions that I can use to make this piece REALLY tight, please let me know. I appreciate the listen. The wonderful MIDI file was a creation of my great friend Reinhold Behringer.

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...st/prok1-3.mp3

SteveMitchell

EDIT: Of course it's the 4th - It was late?

Re: Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 3

I love Prokofiev's 1st symphony! But isn't this the 4th movement? Edit: I see you changed it

Anyway, it definitely sounds like too much staccato, especially in those woodwinds . . . but the way the symphony is really played, I can certainly understand how hard it must have been! Perhaps you could work on the dynamics . . . just having the modulation move around on some of those tracks a little more should add some realism. Nice work, I enjoyed it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 3

Nice ruff cut! You should move this to the Demo page where I believe you would get more hits.
    Styxx

One of my all time favorites! I've loved this piece for many years. As a young composer, I always marveled at his solution for modulations to foreign keys: just slam it in your face on the next downbeat!

The rough cut isn't bad. I'm betting clean-up could last a lifetime, but you're off to a great start.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 4

You're right Styxx. Can you move it, tell me how?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    As a young composer, I always marveled at his solution for modulations to foreign keys: just slam it in your face on the next downbeat!

Oh... that one used to get me in trouble with my composition teacher!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Prokofiev Classical Symphony - Movt. 4

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    This is the best I've been able to create so far.
    What a pleasure to listen!
    You managed to convey the essence of the music - light and sunny mood! Strings are perfectly bright, level of drums just right. Maybe if you shorten length of flute's notes, increase their velocity, decreasing CC1 at the same time it could get that double tongue.
    sfiks

I always loved this piece too.

With GPO, because it doesn't have separate staccato samples, really too short notes are common when writing staccatos.

One trick I've done, is to lengthen the short notes a little and then 'draw' little 'envelopes' for each note with cc#1.

A little tedious yes, but worth it. This has a by product of making your staccato phrases more lifelike than other libraries which lock you in to staccato samples.

Go Back to forum