• Register
  • Help

Topic: naming octaves

Share/Bookmark

naming octaves

In music theory /sampling the standard note indication for Middle C is C4, right?

Middle C = C4 = c' (= MIDI Note Number 60)

Does anyone know why Cubase calls Middle C C3??

Re: naming octaves

Quote Originally Posted by Mandarin Man
    In music theory /sampling the standard note indication for Middle C is C4, right?

Middle C = C4 = c' (= MIDI Note Number 60)

Does anyone know why Cubase calls Middle C C3??
    I think its because many keyboard controllers drop the lowest octave. Your sequencer might have a preference, or option that will allow you to select "C4" as middle C. I have Digital Performer, and I can choose c3 or c4 for my middle octave.

Rick

I seem to recall that the factor that made C4 popular as "middle" C was Roland Corp. ... ?

I believe it is in the General Midi standard that middle C is note number 60.
    What the name of that note is seems to vary quite a bit. Looking at documentation for some Giga libraries, most I've seen does C3. The Bigga Giggas French Horns actually provide duplicate instrument definitions, one with everything up an octave, just in case.

Most sequencers and notation programs let you specify. Some samplers DON'T let you specify.

I use VSampler and I've standardized on MiddleC = 60 = C3 which seems to work.

There's no fixed standard for the octave numbers. There's often as much as a 2-octave discrepancy. I know that Sonar and Reason (which I use Rewired together) differ by 2 octaves. What Reason and Kompakt call "C0" Sonar calls "C2" (unless you change a value in the global settings).

The note numbers are fixed. That is Middle C is always 60. Whether that's called C4, C5, C6, or whatever, is up to whoever writes the interface on the computer program.

Thanks for the infor. I've been confused by that as well.

cjsm

I guess it varies from program to program. But in music theory/notation it's C4 (as used by the Acoustical Society of America), e.g. when talking about the ranges of instruments, etc. I looked it up in my Music Notation book by Gardner Read..

Grtz. Roy

Go Back to forum