• Register
  • Help

Topic: I finally found something to cry about...

Share/Bookmark

Question I finally found something to cry about...

Most likely this should be in support pages under "HEY, WHO LEFT THE WOODBLOCKS OUT?"

I get to a part in the song and it calls for high and low wood blocks the only thing played in a break. That's not all, xylophone isn't sharp enough and staccato enough for the part called for. The wood blocks I will record in myself. The xylophone is another matter. I want a harder, sharper attack. How is this achieved if at all?
    This, obviously, is the first time I am really getting into this lib since I the updates.
    Oh, yeah, Cubase continuously opens the registration window! I'm gonna have a noivous break up, or down I mean, I think.
    Not no one NOT NO HOW!
    Styxx

Re: I finally found something to cry about...

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I want a harder, sharper attack. How is this achieved if at all?
    Run the Xylophone through an audio compressor (plugin) and set the attack real slow, and set the release as fast as it can be set. With these settings, the compressor will not compress the initial attack, but after the attack has slipped by the compressor, (because of it's slow attack setting) the rest of the sound will be lowered in volume. Of course, once this is set, you will have to crank the output volume of the compressor to compensate for the lost gain that the compressor took away. It will add a significant amount of *crack* to the sound. This is a common,.... well somewhat common trick in the audio engineering field.
    Hope this helps.

BTW Styxx, I'm sorry I don't have Somewhere Over The Rainbow done yet. I hope to get it done tomorrow during the day for you. DPDan

Re: I finally found something to cry about...

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Run the Xylophone through an audio compressor (plugin) and set the attack real slow, and set the release as fast as it can be set. With these settings, the compressor will not compress the initial attack, but after the attack has slipped by the compressor, (because of it's slow attack setting) the rest of the sound will be lowered in volume. Of course, once this is set, you will have to crank the output volume of the compressor to compensate for the lost gain that the compressor took away. It will add a significant amount of *crack* to the sound. This is a common,.... well somewhat common trick in the audio engineering field.
    Hope this helps.

BTW Styxx, I'm sorry I don't have Somewhere Over The Rainbow done yet. I hope to get it done tomorrow during the day for you. DPDan
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to try that. Don't worry there's no deadline with the song. I've been working on the Tin Man's song and that is why I needed more attack on the xylophone. Also needed woodblocks (which I successfully recorded tonight of my own instruments) came out clear as a bell and what an attack. I have a friend who stopped over tonight and he own three melodic percussion instruments. A Kori Concert Grand marimba, Kori Studio Vibes, AND A XYLO! So, we is taking the xilo for a ride Monday and doing some hits with various densities of mallets! Attack! Attack! Danger! Danger! More than one way to scat a kin!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum