• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bassoon range?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Bassoon range?

Holy moly! The bassoon only goes up to a g above middle C? Yikes! what would stravinsky do?

Someone help. I need to fix this. I write a lot of bassoon music, because i have a friend who is an excellent bassoonist. In almost everything i have written for him the bassoon passes that range... a lot. I can't record GPO versions of any of my solo bassoon work without a solution to this.

Someone help.... please!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Bassoon range?

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    Holy moly! The bassoon only goes up to a g above middle C?
    Bassoon Solo 2 goes up a bit higher--to E above high C.
    Bill

Thanks, Panic Attack averted!!!!!!!

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Welcome to the forum Jess! It's not so much what Stravinsky would do, but what would Jess Hendricks do?

Talk about holy moly, you have won several composition awards and have written works for bassoon - including: Bassoon Concerto No 1, op 9, Blue Ridge Solo for Unaccompanied Bassoon, op 8, 6 Short Pieces for Bassoon and Piano, op 12, Trio for Flute, Bassoon, and Piano, op 13, and other works.

As billp points out, Solo Bassoon #2 has a considerably higher range so reach for that instrument in lieu of Bassoon 1. Glad the panic attack was averted!

I am looking forward to hearing some of your bassoon renditions.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum